Sweet Disposition

This is a story of Boy Meets Girl, but you should know up front, this is not a Love Story.

The early morning Indiana sun glinted through the car window, present but providing no warmth. You could not believe you were back here again, even if it was only for a few days. A year ago you had moved away from the town of Hawkins when your dad got a new job in the city and you had enjoyed the change, Indianapolis was more suited to you, sure it wasn't that far away from Hawkins but it was far enough. You grimaced as your dad opened the car door for you.

"Come on, let's do this." he ushered you out of the seat with his eyes and you heaved yourself out of the door. You squinted round at the area, Hawkins hadn't changed one bit, it's like the whole place was stuck in a time loop, destined to stay in perpetual sleepy town stasis. Sighing you grabbed your bag and threw it on your shoulder and grabbed your dry cleaning bag which contained your formal dress, having it hanging loosely from your hand, dragging on the floor slightly.

"Don't hold it like that! You'll get it filthy!" Your mom scolded and you narrowed your eyes at her.

"Please tell me again why I had to come to this stupid thing?" you posed the question to the pair of them, placing a hand on your hip in a defiant stance.

"Because" your mom snatched your dress off you. "Marcy and Joe are old family friends and it's their wedding and they invited all of us" she barked at you, causing you to roll your eyes.

"Whatever." you mumbled and looked at the place you'd be staying with an annoyed scoff.
It was a small motel across the street from the diner and the grocery store.

"I'll go check us in, you can go for a walk if you want but please be back in an hour or so then you can get ready" she ordered and turned towards the reception.

"Feels strange being back, doesn't it?" you dad commented and you nodded in agreement.

"I never thought I'd be here again" you whined as you eyeballed the diner across the road. "I'm gonna go get something to eat, dad. I'll catch you later" you gave a low wave as you walked towards diner.

As you entered you looked around for a spare booth when suddenly your eyes fell upon brown, tousled hair sat at a table near the window. Steve Harrington. Panic hit you as your gut wrenched, he was sat with a bunch of kids that you vaguely recognized, they were all talking excitedly between themselves although he seemed to be distant, staring off, his eyes glazed over, his entire demeanor had changed since you last saw him in the hallways of Hawkins high, he seemed sad and a little defeated, a far cry from the Keg King you had once known.

"Can I get you something?" the waitress behind the counter asked you, snapping you out of your reminiscent trance. Her voice caused Steve to look up and he noticed you, raising his eyebrows in surprise at your presence. You quickly turned away and rushed to the counter, sitting down.

"Um, just, um. Coffee, milky, please" you stuttered as you felt a blush rising up your neck.

You didn't look up as the waitress placed the mug down on the counter and out of the corner of your eye, you saw him sit down on the stool next to you and you closed your eyes in a pained expression.

"Still drinking coffee I see." his voice sailed over, soft and sweet, just as you remembered.

"Oh! Steve! Wow, hey!" you said with fake enthusiasm "I didn't see you, I'm sorry" you forced a smile to mask the lie and he returned it. He studied you with his dark brown eyes, noticing the subtle changes that lay on your face, your physical appearance hadn't faltered, except a haircut, but being away from the smothering small town you had bloomed, your confidence had grown and you were at home in your own skin, something which he had never seen in you before.