Second Generation

This is a story of girl named Florence and a boy named Horus.

There was blood everywhere and more to come as thick, red liquid still oozes out of the clean slit at the neck of the pale, limp body standing out of the luscious green grass ruffled beneath the corpse, as the ray of morning shone upon it like spotlight.

About 48 hours ago, it was all fun and games. Florence and Horus were twins of 12 years old. They were attending a party of Samantha Riggs, a popular girl in school. Although Sam was from a different class, she invited Florence and Horus. Why? How many different-sex twins would you encounter in a lifetime? Who wouldn’t be intrigued, right? And what make them more intriguing are the different sets of eye color. While Horus has blue captivating eyes, Florence has that poisonous green, but still alluring eyes, and they both have the looks and brains. Such perfection.

Hosted by Sam’s loving, smiling, proud parents finally started. The party was great. Held at the backyard, with balloons, slices of cakes for everyone, and another two-layered orchestra-themed cake, there were also chairs and tables for the visitors, mostly children from the school, with whom the twins celebrated the night away. The party ended at about 30 minutes after 7.

Another 4 hours and 30 minutes and it’ll be the twin’s 13th birthday. Sad as it is, they don’t hold parties, nor have cakes or whatever, but this day is a very special day for their family. They all live under the same roof in a perfectly normal neighborhood. But this family, like any other seemingly normal family, theirs has a dark secret. They are the perfect family of murderers.  And for this year’s celebration of the twin’s birthday, they envy the happy and so kill the living and they already set their eyes on their apple: blonde 13 years old, Samantha Riggs.

Later that afternoon, on the twin’s birthday, they have already sneaked into the empty house and into Sam’s violet wallpapered room, while their parents wait in their car about 2 blocks away.

As the clock strikes 2 in the almost dark room lit only by the moonlight the strikes the pink cheeks of Sam, sound asleep on her bed, two pairs of eyes would be seen, one of green and the other one, blue, by the corner, emerging…

And when the moonlight grazed their faces, it would be clearly seen but not recognized, as the kind, warm faces were replaced by big eyes, and big greens: murderous faces. On their hands, a rope, on the other, a drugged handkerchief.

And so begin the journey to the clearing deep within the nearby forest. The torture that lasted until dawn, and finally, the final slit at the base of the ivory-white neck.