The Birth of Death; Prologue

Prologue

War.

Strife.

Murder.

These are the ways of my people.

This is my story.

I am Moartea.

I am Death.

In a cave south of Razenfield a womans screams echoed from its mouth and resounded through the nearby woods. Huddled within were the remaining bloodline of the Kuhn family, nobles of elven decent. Liadian Róisín held her daughters hand tightly, and gently wiped away the sweat from her brow. "You are doing well my sweet child, just a little more." She whispered into the laboring girls ear. Eyes wide with terror and pain were the only response she recieved. Róisín smiled softly as she reached for a leather strap and coaxed it into her daughters mouth. "Bite down Aiyana, and push one last time." Aiyana's face was slick with sweat as she clamped down on the welcomed gag. Her teeth body ached with exhaustion, she had been in labor for nearly 18 hours and to no end it seemed. Her right hand grasped tightly around Liadain's, until her knuckles were white as she pushed with everything she had. She felt her flesh ripping from the inside out, and tears rolled down her face. Thankful for the ability to muffle her screams she glanced up to meet her mothers smiling eyes.

"Young miss, give us one more push. I can see the head now." The dwarven midwife Niara smiled up at them, her large and grey tinged teeth flashing back at them in the torchlight. Aiyana closed her eyes trying to control her breathing, and ignore the quivering in her legs and the pain searing throughout her body like molten lava. Clenching her teeth she pushed once more, the tears warm and steady flowing down her paled cheeks as every muscle in her body tightened. "Agghhhhhhh" a scream escaped her thin, dry lips. Her entire body shook as she relaxed. Her breath shallow in her chest as she heard a small cry. Looking up at her mother she smiled. "I want to see." she weakly requested. Róisín smiled in return, whispering "you are not entirely done my child. Rest a moment and push one more time." Aiyana wiped the thick coat of sweat from her face as she braced her self once more and pushed, her body was weak and she felt as if she slept she wouldn't wake. Her body relaxed and she turned to her mother with pleading eyes. Róisín turned to Niara and waved her over. Niara smiled and nodded carrying the newborn swaddled in fresh cloth. Handing the child carefully into Aiyana's arms she stepped back a few feet, but close enough in case she was needed.

Aiyana looked down into the childs eyes, and turned to her mother in alarm. "I think she is blind, the Goddess has cursed me double for my weakness mother" her voice was weak and fading. Róisín peered down into the childs face, a pair of cloudy eyes returned her gaze. Her breath caught in throat. She turned back to her daughter to comfort her, assure her it wasn't her fault. Aiyanas body lay slack, her once bright green eyes glazed over. Her bright pale hair, that always shone silver was dull and grey. Róisín gasped, wrapping her arms around her only childs limp body placing kisses on her forehead. Her pale slender finger gently cloesd the girls thin eyelids and kissed them, tears she wished she could shed burned deep in her heart as she grieved her daughter. She turned to Niara "Take the child, take her somewhere she will be safe. Raise her to be strong, and when she reaches womanhood, return to me. These duties I charge to you. She shall be called Moartea."

Niara's amber hued eyes widened. "Yes Liadian, as you like. Do you really wish to burden the child with such a name?" she nearly whispered the last part. Heat rushed to Róisín's face as she fought back her anger. "This child has lost everything before she was even born. She will need to be hard if she wishes to return to me an heir. I can not expect her to be as strong as of pure decent, she is tainted with the blood of a common Cahir. If she is to become Liadian one day, she can not be weak. I was soft with my Aiyana, and look where it got her. I am tired and I need an heir. Aiyana was to start training in the temple once she was healed and recovered. This child will not have that time or Liesure, we are at war my dear friend. We need her. Can you do this for me? You are the only one I can trust. Tell her of her hieritage, her bloodline and the story of her parents. Human Cahir or not, Driton was hero. He gave his life for his family, and my sweet Aiyana gave her last breath so that this young child may have a life. Tell her this. Tell her of her grandmother who awaits her return."

Róisín leaned over her daughters body and lifted the babe from her daughter pale arms. Kissing the childs brow, she looked once more into her milky eyes. "Moartea Khun, may the Goddess bless your path and heal your sight." The small child stretched and yawned looking straight into the elven womans eyes, tilting her head in curiousity. "I think she shes you Liadian..." Niara spoke softly. Moartea turned her head to the left and smiled at the Dwarven midwife. Róisín looked in disbelief at the child and glided across the cavern floor, placing the child in the thick arms of Niara. "The Goddess has heard our cries finally, the blood of this childs parents must have sated her anger. Go now and be swift while only the stars light your path. I shall remain here..." Róisín leaned in and kissed both cheeks of her dearest friend. "Goddess be with you both." Niara bowed her head and slipped into the shadows, he thick voice lingering in the dark. "As well as with you Liadian..."