thirty-nine

Lollie Parker

Lollie Parker

The three teens stood on top of the staircase watching others walk past.

"Look at all of these new people." Riley said.

"No." Maya said.

"Why "no"?" Riley asked.

"Because you're getting all interested in everybody, aren't you?" Maya asked.

"What's wrong with getting interested in people?" Riley asked.

"No." Maya repeated.

"Why "no"?"

"Because you're only supposed to be pretend interested in however many people we already know."

"You're only pretending to be interested in people?" Lollie asked.

"Yeah. Everyone's more comfortable that way. Watch." She said.

A girl walked past them.

"Hey, you." Maya said.

"Hey, you!"

Maya faced Lollie and Riley, "Now watch this. How are you?"

The girl smiled, "How are you?"

"No, I really mean it. How are you?" Maya asked.

"Back off." The girl said.

"Yeah, get out of my life."

"I look out at the sea of new students and would like to explore the potential of new friendships for us. What would you like?" Riley asked.

"I would like everyone to mind their own business." Lollie said.

"Don't you think that somewhere around here could be a wonderful new friend for us?" Riley asked.

"I would have to learn names! I'm still learning Zay." Maya said, "It's Zay, right?"

"That's sad, Maya." Lollie said.

"We are going to make one new friend. If we make one new friend every day for the rest of the year, you know what we'll have?" Riley asked.

"Lice. We'll have lice. I guarantee you." Maya said.

"It's great to have you back, Maya."

"Thanks. My hair is way too long to make new friends."

"So who's it gonna be? Who's the lucky person who's going to get blessed with our special kind of friendship?" Riley asked.

Lollie smiled, "I wouldn't force that on anybody."

"Watch me." Riley said.

She turned and faced a girl, "Hi! Good morning! My name is Riley Matthews and this is my friend Maya Hart and Lollie Parker."