Ch. 17.1 Early Morning Happenings [full chapter]

Start from the beginning

Alex humphed. "I sleep like the dead and I like it that way. Now, let's plan a rescue, shall we? While I wish the opportunity would simply land in my lap, I don't think that will happen."

"I, for one, can plan perfectly while lying in bed," Lok declared. "Zilik?"

"As perfectly as you."

"Girls, girls, you're both pretty," Alex said. "Razz, can you rush that wine? I wish some action would happen. I hate planning."

***

Alex's wish was pounding through the underbrush. At the edge of the town, the Anolis male stopped, frantic to find the building of the One Who Fought For All.

While he knew he should be safe in InterSpec City, he kept to the alleys until he found the InterSpec embassy. He paused at the sight of the Gila guard posted outside the door.

A deep breath tightened the courage in his chest and he told the guard, "I wish to see the One Who Fights For All."

The Gila inclined his head. "Excellent. I have not had a chance to see this szarek fight. I will take you to where she is staying."

The Gila led him through the embassy itself, through a maze of hallways, to a plain door of reddish wood. The Gila knocked on the door and his deep voice rumbled his introduction first to the guards posted at the door and then to the one in the bedroom.

Everyone was still on the bed, but they all had clay goblets of wine and there was a plate of fruit in the middle of the bed. Alex blinked at the Anolis male.

"Want to climb in?" she asked.

Razz, Dex, Gaia, Lok, and Zilik were instantly alert and tense.

"Are you saying you want this unknown male to sleep in the same bed as the Council President nominee?" The Gila guard inside the bedroom asked in a deep, resonating voice.

"Are you saying you can't take down an Anolis male?" Alex asked.

Normally I wouldn't goad a Gila, but any Anolis male is under my protection.

"I can easily defeat such a small male, but I answer to Zilik," the Gila replied.

"I must start work anyway." Zilik said in a pragmatic tone. "Let him stay." He swung his legs over the edge of the bed.

"Ugh, politics at the crack of dawn?" Alex was horrified. "As if a day full of politics wasn't bad enough. When do I have to get up?"

"Stay in bed with us, love," Lok said. "We can sleep in together, nice and cozy and warm."

"When will your female notice your absence and challenge Alex?" Zilik addressed the male.

"She is already looking."

"Get up, Alex. She's sure to check here," Zilik said. "Everyone runs to InterSpec City and its embassy for sanctuary."

"The Gilas will stop her." Lok nuzzled Alex's neck. "Stay with us, right? Razz? Dex? Gaia?"

They murmured their agreement, but Alex patted Lok's muzzle and sat up in bed. "Better to fight at dawn than listen to the paper pushers. What's your name?" Alex asked the new male. "Who's your female?"

"Lon. My mistress is Mina."

Zilik's and Lok's color brightened to warning orange and Zilik sat next to Alex. "This can't be a coincidence. It must be a trap. Don't do it."

"What? And miss another chance at Mina? Nothing can stop me now," Alex said.

"You aren't the deepest thinker when it comes to revenge, are you?" Zilik asked.