↞ seven

junkyard
{olivia's pov}

we uncovered our hands to reveal the dimes we had flipped to determine who would go get the food, and who would stay. i examined all of their dimes just to see that gordie had lost.

"you lose, gordie! gordie just screwed the pooch," teddy laughed.

"does the word 'retarded' mean anything to you?" he asked.

"go get the provisions, you morphadite." he continued to laugh.

"don't call me any of your mother's pet names," gordie retorted and got up.

"what a wet end you are, lachance," teddy shot back. i rolled my eyes, which felt like the hundredth time today. i got up and started walking towards gordie to go with him. he turned around to look back at the guys.

"shut up!"

"i don't shut up," teddy started. the rest of the guys joined in, putting their heads together. "i grow up, and when i look at you, i throw up." and they fake gagged.

"and then your mother goes around the corner and she licks it up," i shot back. gordie gave me a high five for my comeback and as for the rest of the boys, they started wrestling each other.

quidaciolu's
{olivia's pov}

gordie and i were looking around for any drinks and food we could afford in a general shop called, quidaciolu's. the shop was free of people except for the cashier who was behind the counter. we put five drinks on the counter as we looked for some food.

"ain't you denny lachance's brother?" the man behind the counter asked.

"yes, sir," gordie said quietly.

"shame what happened to him," the old man said. i furrowed my eyebrows. "bible says, 'in the midst of life, we are in death.' did you know that?"

i caught on to what the old man was saying. gordie's brother had passed away. it all started to add up. that's why he was so overprotective of the cap he wore after the incident behind blue point diner. if i would've known that, i would've given those older boys something to look out for.

"i lost a brother in korea," the old man proceeded to speak to gordie. "you look like your brother. people ever tell you that?"

"sometimes," gordie replied, still in a quiet tone. the old man began to talk about how he remembered denny playing football. i glanced at gordie, distracted from looking at the food. his facial expression looked blank. i wanted to tell the man to stop talking about it, but i didn't want to be rude, so i kept quiet.

"do you play football?"

"no."

"what do you do?" i looked at gordie again.

"i don't know," he replied. i took his arm gently and led him to the counter where our drinks were. we put the food next to the drinks as the man was wrapping up the meat. he looked up at me.

"you look familiar," he said.

"i, uh, just moved here. teddy duchamp's cousin," i said, hoping he wouldn't say what i think he was going to say.

"yeah, that's right. you're the daughter of the parents that passed away in that car accident the other day." gordie looked at me and i made eye contact with him. i looked away quickly. he got out the money and payed. "i'm sorry for your loss as well, kid."

we started walking back to where the boys were in silence. i looked down at my feet as he looked at me.

"why didn't you tell us?" he asked.