Emily

"Mom, my phones going to die, I'm on my way," I sighed as my phone went blank. "Damn it."
There were three others on board, which was odd, in fact everywhere had been a little quiet. The man in front of me coughed into his hand and I leaned back, trying to avoid the germs he'd just spat into the air.
Gross. I don't want to get sick.
I pulled my jumper up over my nose as he continued to splutter.
Maybe everyone's too ill to get out of bed? That's why it's quite.
I shuffled around and stared at my reflection in the window, examining the dark circles under my eyes. I hadn't been sleeping well, and it showed.
Ugh, I look like shit. I hope I'm not getting sick?
I tucked my hair behind my ears and pulled down on my eyes. The darkness of them matched my hair, but it was the bottomless sorrow that swam within them that twisted my insides.
I hope my parents are okay.

The rattle and rumble of the train swayed me from side to side. It shrieked against the metal tracks, grinding through my brain. As it inched away, agonizingly slow, it groaned with aches and pains like a nursing home resident.
It picked up speed, jolting me forward. I hate trains.
I'm not regretting my decision to return home early. I'd had a good few weeks alone self-medicating my depression. I figured over the years, a little alone time treated it well enough. Yet the guilt simmered in my chest after switching my phone on and being swamped with voice messages from my mom.
My dads not well.
The last message, dated three days ago, said; 'he's not getting better, Em, no one is. I'm taking him to the hospital.'
With life sucking me into a pit of sinking sand, with no escape, no matter how hard I tried to sort my shit, it sucked me in deeper. Draining me of life. Now had turned into festering guilt for leaving. Is it selfish that I was enjoying my alone time? But the absence of people had me feeling uneasy. The sudden urge I had to escape everything, almost felt like a mistake and now I found myself worrying about the empty train and eerily silent stations. Have I brought this on myself?
Footsteps thudded as a coughing fit erupted. I peeked over my shoulder hoping the footsteps didn't belong to the person with the horrible cough. A small smile escaped my mouth as the conductor slumped down in the seat behind me.
"Tickets please." He asked, his monotoned voice sounding irritated.
I rummaged inside my bag for a second, feeling his stare penetrate me. He breathed out a sigh and I struggled not to give me him my middle finger, grumpy asshole.
"Here, thanks." I handed him the ticket and he sat back.
"This damn virus attacking the towns, yet here I am, fit and healthy. Well, someones gotta make sure the world doesn't end."
I tried not to roll my eyes at his moaning. Asif he was wishing he was sick, what a jerk. I go with a nod and twisted my thumbs in my lap.
He gripped the bar and pulled himself up, "theres no one around for christ sake. But that's because everyone is in bed." he handed back my ticket and I swore I heard him mumble, "lucky bastards."
Seriously! What an idiot. But isn't that always the way? All the assholes outlive the good.
I watched as he ambled forward, dragging his fingers along each seat. I released a breath when he'd disappeared from sight, freeing me from an awkward interaction. Just like the ones I tried to avoid on a daily bases. The tightness of my chest loosened and I tilted my head back.
I was drawn to a banner, with the words threatening to take my breath so soon after regaining it.
'Influenza kills. Good hygiene is important.'
"Dad..."

I'm shaken from my thoughts, thrown violently forward, forcing me to grip the edge of the seat. Holding myself steady I peered outside. Everything was whizzing past, disorienting me. A blur of colors invaded my eyes and I felt like I was out of control.
Being beaten, my body ached. Colliding with the window, shards of splintered glass surround me before everything turned dark.

A breeze caressed my skin, strands of hair danced across my forehead as my eyes fluttered open. The damp grass beneath my fingertips told me I wasn't  on the train anymore and the throbbing in my skull was enough to make me cry out.
I gripped the side of my head, as I tried to move. A ringing in my ears dulled the sound of the disaster. As thick smoke filled the air, it felt like I was breathing in flames.
I looked up from my hands and knees, pulling myself to my feet, stumbling forward. The orange glaze lit up the wreckage like it had its own aura.
Only a few steps forward and I was  crippled back to my knees, slamming my hands over my ears as an almighty bang rammed into my skull. The wobble of my chin and the shiver of my body rolled in time with each sob as I watched the train engulf with flames.