What Should Be Never Will

Začať od začiatku

“Severus,” Before Ariella could even breath another word, Severus had her face gripped between his large hands and he was glaring at the gash that stretched across her once unmarred features. Ariella knew she should be furious with him, but she honestly felt too exhausted from the night’s revelations and its apparent ending.

“You are always so reckless,” Severus growled as he turned his glare from her wound to her eyes.

“Says the man who followed after us even after the last time almost got him killed,” Ariella grumbled in response as she moved to jerk herself out of his grip. He released her easily but he didn’t let her escape.

“Do not test me Cross. I did what I thought was right─”

“You didn’t even give us time to explain anything. You saw only what you wanted to see and you saw a chance for some sort of sick revenge, Severus and you tried to take it!” Ariella snarled as she shoved her hand against his chest. He only rocked from the force, but he could tell that was only because she weak after spending the night chasing a wayward werewolf.

“Severus, you pointed your wand at me! Do you understand that? Do you remember the last time you did that?! Do you?!” By now, tears were pouring down her face. Severus’s eyes widened. Guilt suddenly swallowed him whole. He had been too angry last night to realize the implications of his actions the night before. All he saw was Sirius Black smiling and reaching for Ariella and he had felt rage like nothing else take hold. It was irrational and the moment he had pointed his wand at the blonde woman in front of him, he thought what he saw was anger but now he knew. It was fear: pure, unadulterated terror. She had only seen his rage and thought of that fateful night in the dungeons.

“Cross, I did not…”

“You never do. Severus, you are so easily enraged that I’m scared one day you’ll slip back to that angry little boy who hurt everyone who cared! The boy who called Lily that AWFUL name, the boy who lured me to the dungeons so his friends could torture me! Do you know what that feels like Severus? It feels like I’m constantly watching and shagging a ticking bomb!” The tears now gushed and mixed with the blood that ran down her face. Severus could only stare at her. Everything she said was right and it hurt.

“Ariella,” was the only word he could say. He had known from the beginning that they were never going to survive with each other. There was too much everything: passion, anger, fear, and memories. Yet at the prospect of being separated from her, pain like nothing else clenched his heart. She had managed to bury herself inside his soul and she was slowly repairing the broken and shattered pieces that made up his entire being. He didn’t know how to explain any of this to her of course and even if he had, the words wouldn’t come. However, that didn’t stop her mouth from voicing the one thing he had feared would escape.

“We have to end this, Severus. What this is.” She motioned between them and Severus couldn’t breathe. Ariella felt her heart break the moment the words leave her mouth. She knew they needed to be said, but it didn’t stop the pain that swallowed her heart. She had grown to adore the dark man in front of her and while she knew it was nothing like it had been with Sirius, it had been something. But fear shouldn’t be a part of any relationship, especially not the fear that had gripped her last night or every other time the man had gotten angry at her. He didn’t say anything. Nothing in his defense. Nothing in agreement. He was just silent and his silence spoke volumes. It hurt. It hurt far worse than any of the physical injuries she had ever endured slammed together.

Before Severus could say or do anything, Ariella ran past him into the castle. He was alone as the sun peaked over the horizon and the cold morning mist filled the air. And he felt it. He felt the crippling emptiness creep into his soul and he grew bitter. He had known better. He had known where they would end up and yet, he had hoped for something he didn’t deserve. He had hoped to be someone she could possibly love and he had hoped to feel something for her like he had felt for Lily. He had hoped she would be able to brighten his dark heart and keep him from slipping back. But he had known better. At least he should have. And anger swept through him as he blamed her for everything he now felt.

***

“Elle, did I?” Remus couldn’t even finish his sentence as he saw Ariella the next day. The gash hadn’t healed. Not that Ariella cared. She hadn’t gone to the hospital wing after her encounter with Snape. She didn’t want to see or talk to anyone and had shut herself up in her room. Remus had found her curled into a ball on her bed, tears still streaking down her face. Remus accounted it to his actions and to all that had transpired the night before.

“It’s over,” Ariella sobbed as she pulled herself into a tighter ball. Remus frowned at her words.

“Elle, what do you mean? What’s over?” He sat on the bed next to her and brushed her tangled and blood caked curls away from her face. He lightly touched the wound he had inflicted but she didn’t even flinch. Ariella wasn’t sure she could even feel it anymore.

“Elle, please…talk to me. I know last night…it was a lot. I’m still spinning, but…”

“I ended it. He was so angry and I was so afraid. I can’t…I can’t do it anymore, Moony.” Remus knew instantly who Ariella was talking about. He had seen the fear in her eyes last night when Severus had confronted them. He felt mild relief sweep through him. He had never understood their relationship and while he had supported her choices, he had always known it wouldn’t last long. They were so different and there was so much animosity and resentment between them. He knew they tried to ignore it or get over it, but he also knew they wouldn’t be able to.

“Oh Elle. I’m so sorry. I know how you wanted to change everything between you two, but some things can’t be changed.” Remus mumbled softly as he stroked her head.

“Albus told me he told his house that you were a werewolf. He only did it to get even. He is so vindictive,” Ariella growled lowly. Remus’s eyes widened before he saddened instantly. After last night, he hadn’t expected anything less. And now, Ariella would be alone to suffer his wrath.