It's Christmas! [Pt. 1]

Christmas morning was exciting. Ariella had practically bounced out of bed and pranced around as she got ready for the day. Severus, on the other hand, was less than excited. He had never really liked Christmas, or Christmas had never really liked him. He frowned as he watched his companion don a Christmas themed sweater and hang jingle bells from her ears. She slipped a bag over her head and let it hang from her shoulder. Green and red ribbons held part of her curls back from her face. Her outfit was complete when she slipped her “lucky” boots over her feet and the legs of her tight jeans. It was the first time in a long time that Severus had seen her in something other than a dress.

“You look ridiculous,” he commented as she stopped in front of him and twirled.

“Yes, well, you look like you’re going to a funeral,” Ariella rebutted. Severus shook his head as he moved to grab a nearby book.

“Coming to breakfast?” Ariella asked as she watched him settle at his desk.

“Later. I’m working on something,” Severus replied distractedly. Ariella pouted before sighing.

“Alright, well, I’m going. I’ll see you later,” Ariella commented as she moved toward the door.

“Have fun, Cross,” was Severus response just when Ariella disappeared from his sight. Once alone, Severus leaned back in his chair and sighed. He knew she was disappointed in his lack of holiday spirit. His eyes traveled to a nearby chest. Buried at the bottom was a brightly wrapped gift that he almost regretted buying. He could see Ariella’s name in his choppy handwriting when he pictured it. He hadn’t put who it was from. Perhaps he’d leave it for her in her office. He quickly squashed that idea. He wanted to see her face when she opened it and realized it was from him. When he had seen it in the shop window, he instantly thought of her.

“Ridiculous,” he mumbled to himself as he turned back to his work.

**

“Merry Christmas one and all!” What few students and teachers there were turned to look at Ariella as she smiled brightly.

“Merry Christmas!” Ariella practically skipped to the table as Remus chuckled at her happiness.

“Good morning, Elle,” he greeted as Ariella took the empty spot next to him.

“Good morning, Remus!” Ariella replied cheerfully. Remus smiled at his friend.

“Where is your…bodyguard?” he asked as he looked around Ariella, searching for her companion.  Ariella shook her head.

“He’s being grouchy. He said he’d come up later,” Ariella responded with a shrug.

“You mean he let you leave on your own?” Remus questioned, feigning surprise.

“He’s not that bad, Remus. Besides, I don’t really think he’s a Christmas person,” she remarked as Remus chuckled.

“I don’t think Snape is an anything person, Elle,” Remus joked as Ariella sighed.

“I’m sorry I don’t appease to your ideas of being a person,” Severus’ cool voice came from behind the two adults. Ariella looked over her shoulder with a bright smile.

“Hey Snark! You came up earlier than I thought,” Ariella commented as she moved over to let Severus sit next to her. Severus sneered at Remus as he took the spot.

“I finished my work faster than I expected,” he replied as Remus chuckled.

“Or you realized Elle would be alone all the way up here,” he mumbled to himself. Ariella scowled at her friend who threw her an apologetic smile. Severus glared at Remus as Ariella grabbed a nearby tart. 

“So when do you guys want your presents?” Ariella asked as she tried to diffuse the tension that seemed to hang in the air around her.

“You can give me mine at dinner, Elle,” Remus answered as Severus turned to her in surprise.

“You have a gift for me?” he questioned. Ariella smiled at him.

“Of course I do. I have a gift for everyone,” Ariella replied easily with a bright smile.

“Professor Cross!” Ariella tore her attention away from her stunned companion as Harry ran up to her with a smile.

“Thank you for the gift,” Harry said excitedly.

“Oh, you’re welcome, Harry. I hope you like it. It was your father’s you know,” Ariella responded softly as Harry nodded.

“Now run along. Mr. Weasley looks lonely,” Ariella remarked as Harry turned and left the adults alone again.

“What did you give him?” Remus asked as Ariella turned to him easily.

“James’ ‘lucky’ quidditch jersey. I figured since the uniform hasn’t changed in twenty years, Harry could make some use out of it,” Ariella replied with a shrug as Remus chuckled.

“And you kept that jersey for twenty years?”

“Of course. He made me promise never to get rid of it.”

“But you did,” Remus rebutted as Ariella shook her head.

“No. I simply gave it to his son, there’s a difference,” Ariella replied easily with a smile. Remus chuckled at her answer.

“Besides, I figured James would want Harry to have it,” she remarked softly. Severus frowned as he looked over to see a sad look cross his companion’s features.

“Cross, didn’t you say something about giving the headmaster his gift at breakfast?” Severus asked suddenly to distract the blonde. Remus smiled at the distraction. He had to be grateful to the dark man for keeping his friend’s mind off of the sadness of the holiday. He hoped he could keep it up all day.

“Oh! You’re right! Thank you for reminding me, Severus!” Ariella replied cheerfully as she dug in her bag for a bit before producing a brightly wrapped box. Her script-like handwriting was on a tag addressed to the aging Headmaster. She placed it on the table before digging around for the rest of the staff’s presents. Remus chuckled.

“Every color of the rainbow?” He asked jokingly as he picked up a present addressed to Trelawney. Ariella giggled.

“Well, I couldn’t decide what color to get most of them and I didn’t want them all to be the same,” she responded.

“Of course, that makes perfect sense,” Remus replied while chuckling. Severus shook his head at the exchange between the two adults. In his opinion, it was as absurd as always. He had never actually seen the two talk about important things. Trivial things seemed to be the only things that they wanted to talk about.

“Alright, well I’m off to deliver gifts. Be back, chaps!” Ariella remarked as she left the two men alone. Remus sighed.

“It’s a wonder she’s so cheerful during this time of year,” he commented as Severus looked over at him in question.

“Cross is always cheerful,” he replied as if it were a fact and more times than not, it was. Remus shook his head.

“Didn’t she tell you?” Remus asked suddenly. Severus shook his head.

“She lost her parents at Christmas,” he responded quietly, afraid of anyone else  overhearing their conversation. Severus tensed as his eyes widened considerably.

“What?”

“Yeah, her parents and her little brother were killed during the Christmas of our seventh year,” Remus explained as Severus stared at him in horror. He remembered something Lucius had mentioned to him off-handedly in a letter he had received over that year.

Seems like some Muggle-lovers fought against the Dark Lord. I heard he killed them all, except for the girl. He left her alive as sort of a punishment.

“Oh Ariella dear! This is wonderful!”

“Exactly what I needed!”

“Girlie, it’s almost like we’re twins!” Severus looked down the table to watch the other teachers pour adulations over the blonde. Her smile was bright and reached the corners of her eyes. Her eyes was shining. She looked genuinely happy.