I

"You start tomorrow."

I smiled at my new manager, who handed me an apron and visor. I grabbed them and walked out of the place, the Starlight Cafe. It was a really hipster place that was typically filled with local college students.

And I was one of them.

I mean, not yet. The semester doesn't start until next week, but still.

I drove to my new home, an apartment my parents helped me find that was close to the university. There was no way I was going to live in a dorm for four months, all small and cramped.

The only downfall was that I have to pay for everything myself. But I guess that's okay since I'm attending this university on a scholarship.

So here I am, in Southern California, on my own. Just landed a new job, and my apartment isn't actually that bad. My landlord seems to be okay and the rent isn't so bad either.

I pulled up into the parking lot of my apartment complex and grabbed my stuff. I walked out of my car and to my apartment, which, thankfully, was on the first floor, so I didn't have to do any excessive walking.

I pulled out my key and unlocked the door, revealing a bare living area.

I should probably do something about that.

Oh well, it's not like I have the money to do anything anyways.

I walked into my bedroom and stuck my apron and visor in my closet. I sat down on my bed, just, there.

I really am alone right now.

I moved here, to California, by myself. I came for one reason and one reason only: college. I didn't have any family around here nor any friends that I know of in the area.

Well that's just great.

Not having anything else to do, I spent a few hours on my phone, completely bored.

After a while, my stomach started feeling empty, so I walked to my minuscule kitchen. I had a small 4-burner stove with a small oven right beneath it. There was a small metal sink on the counter across from it, with a fridge in the corner of the whole thing.

Let's see what we got.

I opened my fridge, being greeted to a gallon of milk, creamer, a package of cheese, some ham, and mayo.

I opened the freezer compartment to find nothing but ice.

Sigh.

I pulled my phone out of my pocket.

"Hey, I know I said I'd be on my own and everything but can I have some money? I need to buy groceries and I don't start work until tomorrow and I won't get paid until next week." I texted my mom, because I really didn't have any other option.

"I guess, it'd be cruel of your dad and I to not help you start off." I smiled at my mom's text. I know right now she wishes I was still at home so she could make sure I'm okay instead of hundreds of miles away.

Within a minutes I had a notification from my bank account, saying that I received a whopping $100 from my mom.

"Oof, she was feeling extra generous."

I walked out of my apartment and got in the car.

Now, where is the nearest grocery store?

I searched up directions and let the voice in my phone guide me to get to the store.

Soon enough, it brought me to my destination, and I did my thing. Throughout the entire time shopping, I was glad my parents raised me to find as many sales and discounts as possible, because I still had about 30 some dollars at the end of everything. 

I put my paper bags with groceries in the passenger seat and drove home. I parked, and look at the five bags sitting there.

Alright, we're gonna do this in one run.

I exited the driver's side and walked to the opposite side of my car, opening the door. I grabbed all the bags, that were each easily about the size of a small dog, and closed the door with my foot.

Very carefully I grabbed my keys that were hanging out of my front pocket with one hand and locked my car. As I walked towards my apartment, I could barely see anything ahead of me.

But I saw perfectly fine when I fell to the ground.

"Yo! What the heck?" I looked up to see a tall guy, with lightly tanned skin. His face seemed angered until turned and saw me on the ground, along with my groceries, realizing what just happened.

"Oh my God! Are you okay?" He bent down to me and extended his hand out. Cautiously, I grabbed it and allowed him to help me up.

"Here, let me help you with these," the stranger said, picking up some of my paper bags.

I finally spoke. "No, no, it's okay, you don't have to do that. I got it."

"Are you sure?" He questioned me. "Because from the looks of it, you don't seem to 'got it.'"

I frowned. "Okay," I said softly and defeated. I picked up the remaining bags and walked to my apartment. The guy followed me there and I let him in so he could put the bags down in my kitchen.

Once he finally did so, he looked at me in wonder. "Are you new here?"

"Is it that obvious?" I ask.

He chuckled. "A little. Don't worry, I am too." He smiled at me, making me feel a little less anxious.

He held out his hand. "I'm Younghyun. Nice to meet you~" His voice lingered, not knowing my name.

"Y/N." I said taking his hand and shaking it. "I'm Y/N."

"Y/N," he repeated. "Nice to meet you Y/N."

"You too." I smiled.

"So what brings you to this part of town Y/N?" He asked.

"Uh, well this is the apartment complex that is closest to my job and university."

"Really? Where do you work?" He said, curiously.

"Um, well I just got hired at a cafe, it's called Starlight Cafe-"

"Are you serious? I just got hired there too! Wait, where are you going to uni?"

"Cal State-"

"Oh my God ME TOO!" My new acquaintance said rather loudly and excitedly.

"Do you have any friends here?" Younghyun asked, with wide eyes.

"Well not really-"

"Then consider me your first!" He smiled brightly. "It's okay, I don't have any friends here either. I'm studying abroad, and all my family is on the other side of the world."

"Aw, I'm sorry. If it's any comfort my family is another state," I said sympathetically.

"Nah, it's all cool. But hey! New friend! This is gonna be so much fun! Younghyun and Y/N! Y/N and Younghyun! An unstoppable duo!"

I chuckled at him. This guy seemed like a really talkative and charismatic dork, so I'm hoping this new "friendship" goes okay.

I started putting all my groceries away, and Younghyun stayed and helped me.

"So when are you scheduled to work?"
_________________________
A/N: hello!! i am now writing a jae fanfic as per request of my best friend, who finally admitted she's Jae biased lol
i don't entirely have a plan for how long this will be but thank you in advance for everyone who supports this story!!
ch. 2 soon!