Chapter 1

Nathan

I wake up to a pillow being pelted on me.
"Time for school! Wake up." I hear my dad yell as he continues to assault me with my pillow. Which I now realize was removed from beneath my head. "Up sleepy head! Breakfast is waiting for you."
I groan. "Five more minutes."
"Your alarm clock went off 15 minutes ago." He tells me.
I groan even louder this time. "Five minutes is all I ask please."
"Uh uh, nope, not havin' it. Come on."
Next thing I know, I'm getting dragged out of bed.

* * *

My family and I are sitting around the island in the center of the kitchen.
My dad(Joseph Taylor), made blueberry eggo waffles for breakfast. My favorite.

My mom is feeding my little sister Lily who just turned 4 months old.
My little brother Blake is trying to cram in some homework. He's 14 years old and he just started going to Lemingway Highschool with me this fall, as a freshman. If I picked who I was most closest to in the family, I would pick Blake. If he needed someone to talk to, he would come to me, or the other way around. A couple weeks ago he told me that he looks up to me. No pressure.
But I'd rather it be me than anyone else.
And maybe I should say now that I'm adopted. At nine years old I was taken in by the couple I know now as mom and dad. Before then I was in foster care. My life was filled with bullies and abusive adults, who would take advantage of me at my age and I couldn't stop any of it. But when mom and dad showed up, they took it all away. And I owe my life to them.
Blake and Lily are their real children and they always tell me that I'm their real child also, but we all know the truth.
My biological parents were drug addicts who abandoned me in a pharmacy parking lot trash bin, and were never heard of again.
Lucky me...

* * *

After breakfast, me and Blake are in my car and on our way to Scott's house. Scott is my best friend and has been since the 3rd grade. We have a group of friends, but out of all of them me and him are the closest. We've always been there for each other and I can't imagine life without him. The kind of friendship we have can never be broken. We're more like brothers.
As I pull into the driveway, Scott's already making his way towards me. As he hops into the passenger seat, he hands me a folded slip of paper.
I give him a questionable look.
"Just read it bum." He tells me.
I unfold the paper and catch a glimpse of the word party. "No." I tell him.
"Oh, come on. It's Vanessa Green's party, we have to go."
"No we don't."
"Dude come on, lets just check it out and see what happens."
"What will happen is that you'll get drunk, and end up in some strangers yard."
"What if I promise not to drink tonight? Can we go then?" He won't give up until he gets what he wants.
I sigh. "If you kidnap someone's dog again. I'll leave you to the cops."
He laughs."Thanks man, you won't regret it. You're gonna have the time of your life, I promise."
I highly doubt it
"You kidnapped someone's dog?" Blake asks from the back seat.
"It was a year ago! People need to let it go."Scott whines.
I chuckle and put the car in reverse.

Time for school