He paused and waited for her to interrupt him but Addison didn’t say anything, instead, she walked over to where he was and sat next to him. Moving silently like she was a shadow, drifting back to the body that owned her for so long.

“You scared me,” he admitted. “It’s not an excuse but that’s how it was when we were sixteen. You had your dreams and hearing about your plans for the future, it made me realise I didn’t have any. I didn’t have anything for you. I couldn’t give you anything and I didn’t want you to be stuck with someone that wasn’t good enough for you.”

“That is complete bullshit,” Addison whispered. “You weren’t scared of me, you were scared of trying harder. You took the easy way out by leaving.”

“You think leaving was easy?” Carver’s voice was barely above a whisper and he breathed in heavily, like he was trying to keep calm. “You think it was easy for me to leave you? I wanted to come back to you when I got my shit together. I left the person I knew was right for me, but it just wasn’t the right time for us! I wasn’t ready to be the person you deserved and I didn’t want to tie you down to someone going nowhere. Don’t believe that I went through without difficulty, Addison.”

“You knew you were leaving!” she shouted. “You had all the answers and all I had was an empty house. I never knew where you were going, if you’d ever come back! If you really wanted me to have what was best, why didn’t you just dump me and then skip out? Why did you have to promise that you’d never leave me, make me believe that you meant it, and then leave?”

“I was a coward.” He stood back up and hit the trunk of the tree. “I knew if I even spoke to you before leaving, I wouldn’t do it.”

She wasn’t sure when it happened, but Addison found herself standing in front of him, her eyes closed as they leaned into one another.

“I shouldn’t be here,” she said quietly, loving the way it felt being so close to him “Why am I still here?”

“Because we’re alike. We can’t keep away from one another, even after everything I’ve done.” Carver started to close the distance between them. “You can go now if you want. I won’t stop you.”

When Addison didn’t move, he closed the distance left between them, pulling her under with a kiss so deep she couldn’t even remember her own name. 

Her legs gave out beneath her and suddenly they were fourteen again, rolling down the hill, lips locked and limbs tangled with one another. They landed at the bottom but Addison couldn’t stop touching him. There was an inexplicable hunger that overtook her body, sending tremors all over and making her hands shake as she gripped his shoulders tightly.

Addison was scared of opening her eyes. Scared that if she opened her eyes, reality would catch up and she’d realise that this was all a dream. She didn’t want to stop touching, feeling him so close to her made her believe that this was all real.

Carver seemed to have the same idea because he seemed to be touching every part of her and yet it wasn’t enough. His mouth left hers and he traced it up and down her neck, sending her nerves into a frenzy she didn’t think was possible.

She withered under him, needing – no – wanting more than what he was giving her. It was as if he sensed her anxiety because his touches became rough and impatient as she was, making it so Addison didn’t even know where either of them started or where they ended.

“I’ve missed you so much.” Carver tangled his fingers in her hair, pulling her closer to him as their bodies curved against one another. “God, it has been ten years and I can’t believe how much I’ve missed you.”