Chapter 1

As I was grabbing food to settle my rumbling stomach, my two siblings, Zeke and Alandria, came running into the kitchen.

"Zoren, dad is looking for you, I think he wants to go out to the mountain," Alandria said.

"Okay, I'll go find him after I finish eating this apple, okay?" I replied.

She smiled as they both left me alone in the kitchen, I set down my apple on a plate as I grab something to cut it with.

"Zoren, are you still here?!' my dad yells, as he walks in through the front door.

"I was just going to go find you," I reply as he walks into the kitchen, "Right after I finished my apple."

"I noticed, do you want to go hiking through the woods with me today?" he asked as he walked up to me.

" I would love too, dad, but I have to finish some of my chores mom left for us to do," I say, as he sits down next to me.

He sighs as he shakes his head at me, he sits there for a few seconds then gets up and walks out to the stairs, that lead to the room, my mom is cleaning. After a few minutes he walks down, his feet making booming noises throughout the house as he goes down the stairs. He walks into the kitchen smiling.

"I'll help you with it then as along as we have time to go hiking, I am fine with that," he replies walking towards my room, which is the first door you come along on the right side, as he opens my door Zeke comes out of his room with a bunch of bags in his hands.

As I pick up all the dirty clothes off my floor, my dad grabs a bag for me to put all the trash in. I smile at him, in a way of thanking him for grabbing one, as I throw the clothes in to the hamper for my mother to wash, dad is grabbing all the trash on my floor and putting it in to the garbage bag. I laugh as he makes a face at one of the things he picks up from the floor.

"What do you eat in your room to make it look like a pigs nest?" my father exclaims, as I start helping him pick all of it up, "Never mind I don’t want to know." My mom chuckles from the door.

"I don’t think you want to know, Honey, I pick most of it up," she smiles at him as he looks at her with a face of horror, "it is very disgusting, you wouldn't want to do the stuff I do to keep this house clean."

When we finish, I grab my mountain gear, as my father grabs his from his room. I wait downstairs by the back door, as dad says goodbye to mom. He  slings his arm over my shoulder while grinning at me as mom shakes her head at us. We leave the house laughing about one of the many stories about our past trips through the woods, while we were laugh, little did we know that there were bear tracks heading the same way we were heading through the forest.

After a while, we stopped in a clearing for a little break, my dad sets down his bag, after he does that he opens his bag and grabs two water bottles. He throws one to me as I sit down on one of the logs that was laying on the ground. He sits down next to when one of the bushes rustle to our left. Dad jumps up, slowly grabbing his sword the was on his back. What came through the bush was a surprise.

 It was another person from my bloodline, he nodded towards us, as he continued by heading back towards the city. We watched him walk by, as soon as he disappeared from our view we put our swords away, and packed the bags back up and left the clearing. A few hours later we come to a stop on top of a hill, as we were setting the tent up, a bear came running through the trees, heading right towards my dad. I launched myself towards my sword, as he was dodging the bear's swipes.

"Dad, here take my sword, I'll use your sword," I yelled as I threw it towards him.

"Thanks, I think mine is by those rocks over there," he replied pointing in the direction the bear's back was too. I silently walked over to the rocks, without catching the bears attention, right when I grabbed the sword I heard a clattering noise and  my dad screaming in pain. I quickly looked over to him, to see the bear hovering over him, with it's paw ready to swipe at him.

"No, dad!" I screamed as my eyes started to water up. I ran as the bear's paw came down on to him, he turned his head towards me, as he was taking his last breath, he told me to keep an eye on my sister and brother, while they grow up. Little did I know that the bear was making its way towards me, as I was holding his head and listening to him speak. As I saw the shadow of the bear standing up behind my, I twisted around grabbing my sword at the same time. As I turned, all I felt was pain as the claws of the bear ripped through my shirt and through my skin, giving me a nasty bloody scar that I know will last there to remind me of that horrible day.

I screamed in pain, as the bear was getting ready to do a killing attack. Right when it was going to attack me, two people came running through the bushes, coming to my rescue.

"Look! The boy is still alive, you try to keep the bear away as I try to stop the bleeding from his chest," one of the figures said, as the other nods. As  one makes its way towards the bear slowly, the other presses a cloth to my chest to stop the bleeding. I scream as soon as I felt the pressure on the bloody scar.

"I think the bears, claw went deep, it will be a miracle if he survives from the amount of blood he lost. When the figure finishes speaking, I finally pass out, from the intense pain.