--gone; angst

As requested by SHEPARD2996
Word Count: 1422

The rain pelted in Raccoon City, the night dark, foggy. The underground wasn't as nice either, wet and murky.
Leon huffed, climbing up a ladder and pushing the manhole cover above them. He looked around, the parking garage empty and cold. He sighed before lifting it out of the way, pulling himself up.
He looked back down into the sewers, giving the girl underneath him a light, comforting, smile. "I'll be back," he said, "whatever happens don't make sound." The girl looked at him fearfully, "But Leon-"

"Don't worry," he whispered, "I'll be fine."

The girl nodded, the manhole closing slightly, a peek of light shining through the open slit. The girl shivered as she let out a small sigh. She felt herself growing pale, the wound she covered bleeding through its bandage.
She sat at the bottom of the ladder, hissing softly at the pain erupting through her leg. Soon it'll feel numb, soon she won't be able to walk and the abnormally large Tyrant will find her. She didn't have much gauze left, but with whatever Leon had given her, she attempted bandage it, wrapping it tight around her calf.
She sat there with nothing to do. Memories replayed in her head as if she was gonna die. She remembers her 16th birthday, collage graduation, her first real job. The small smile on her lips faded as she remembers her best friend's mutation then killing them. She sighs, tears welled in her eyes. She remembers Leon saving her from a herd of zombies, protecting her, his soft voice, kind eyes. She blushed.

Sounds above interrupted her thoughts. She heard gunshots, a sharp gasp escaping her lips. She covered her mouth, head looking up at the steel manhole cover. She heard a woman's voice then Leon's, "Hey! I'm not done talking to you!" then silence.
Leon was gone. All she could hear were occasional stomps, a heel tapping and the light steps of someone running. It was all she heard for the past 40 minutes Leon left her. Her eyes were getting drowsy and her bandages had all ready turned a dark red. She needed to find something that could act like gauze, at least for now.
She silently huffed getting up, falling a few times. Her hand leaning against the wall, hand clenching the metal bar. She climbed up the ladder, hissing softly at the piercing pain that shot up her leg as she took a step.
The crack in the manhole cover Leon had left was big enough for her fingers to go through. Pushing the cover to the side with one hand and holding her weight up with the other.
The female pushed herself up, sliding the manhole cover close, leaving a small crack. Her mission was to find cloth then go back into the sewers. 'Shouldn't be so hard.'
She limped, determined. Her hand tightly held the butterfly knife she was given, her hands bloody mixed with sweat. She looked around, her movements quick unlike her steps. A moaning noise came from in front of her. The infected wandered aimlessly, their back turned to the injured female.
"Shit." the female whispered to herself, the knife now tighter in her hand. She breathed in deeply. She knew what she had to do, but it didn't stop her from doubting her decision.
'Alright.' she thought, 'Just how Leon taught you.'. Her movements were slick, despite her injured leg. She managed to get in close range of the infected, grabbing it by the head and stabbing the knife through it's temple. The body fell limp in her arms.
Lightly placing the body down she could see it's features. They were female with the prettiest brunnette locks and dark skin. Her stomach dropped, the dead girl's skin cold against hers. Pulling out the knife from dead female's head using it to rip portions of the female's large skirt.
Content, she stood up. Placing the dead female down near a pole, closing her whited out eyes. The girl sighed, mentally thanking the dead body. Limping away towards the sewer once again. A growl was heard followed by the sounds of nails taping on the hard concrete. She turned around again, the four legged creature growling at her. A door slammed open revealing a lightly injured blonde police officer tightly holding up a gun.
"Leon!" she yelled for him. She knew she wouldn't survive the infected dog's attack. All she had was a knife. "Y/N?" he questioned, his blue eyes widening at the sight of his partner. He looked at the dog then looked back at her as it waltz over to her, the dog ready to attack.

"Y/N!" he yelled, "Watch out!"

The dog attacks knocking the girl to the ground. As the wall beside Leon crumbles. A large Tyrant bursts through the wall grabbing the ocean eyed boy by the neck. He chokes, struggling to get out of his grasp.
The girl a few meters away from him struggling to get the dog away from her. Its claws deep into her abdomen, red seeping through her shirt. She groans in pain, her head dizzy as her arms grow weaker.
The roaring of the engine and crash. The tyrant crushed against the wall as gunshots scream. The dog fell limp on the female's chest, blood seeping through two small holes in its head. Leon gasps for breath as the truck door opens, the female off to the side slowly losing consciousness.

"Ada!" Leon exclaims, looking at her shut the door. "This is getting old." Ada says, her voice dripping with annoyance. "Saving your ass-that's twice." Leon gets up, brushing himself off. "Didn't know we were keeping score." He walked towards her. "Look, this isn't a game!" the truck behind him moves slowly, Leon turning, his gun aimed at the Tyrant. "Nothing dies down here!" Ada exclaims, annoyed. Her hand tightly around the remote her finger on the button. The movement stops as the truck bursts into flames.

"I was hoping you have the key card?"

"Yeah and this." Leon lightly tosses a recorder he found in a man's pocket.

"I was hoping you could explain what was on it?"

"Yeah, after I hear it."

Leon nods, Ada walking away. "Let's get you and your friend out of here."

Leon nodded again, quickly making his way towards the injured female. "Hey, hey." Leon said, crouching down to her. "Stay with me okay?" His soft voice made her smile, a blush creeping on her face. Her bloody hand weakly reaching for his face, planted against his cheek.
"I'm not gonna make it, Leon." she says weakly as he shook his head. "No, we're going to get out of here together." The female softly chuckles, changing the subject. "Look!" she exclaims weakly, "My first kill." Leon's eyes travelled towards the dead infected, laying peacefully against the concrete pillar. "I'm proud of you." the girl's smile widened before she starts to cough, blood seeping into her mouth.
"We need to get you out of here," Leon frantically says, "Let's go." He reaches under her to pull her up but she stops him, shaking her head rapidly. "No, Leon." she stammers, "I told you, I'm not gonna make it." Leon looks at her, his eyes fighting to keep his eyes from tearing up. "Don't say that, we're getting through this, together!" he argues but Y/N smiles, softly chuckling to herself. She places her butterfly knife tightly in his hand.
"You know I've never fallen for someone more then I have for you." she whispers weakly, her skin growing paler. "This isn't the time, Y/N!" he yelled, his eyes finally watering. "I know you probably don't like me back but-" she cups his face, pulling him down to kiss her. He couldn't find the strength to pull away, his eyes closed his hand gently placed around her neck. He felt a sudden spark, a connection. He fell for her too and now he was more determined to get her out of Raccoon city. But just like that she was gone. Her body was limp, her eyes closed and heart stopped. She looked at peace, a small smile on her rested face.

"Y/N?"

"Y/N!"

"She's gone Leon."

The ocean eyed boy looked at the woman behind him before nodding. He slowly stood up, butterfly knife now tightly in his hand as he wiped his tears. He looked at his dead lover once again, turning to meet Ada's eyes.

"Let's just get outta here."