Ch 5: Family {part 1}

"Pick what ya want, kid." We now stood in front of an aisle, covered with room decor. "I already have a blanket. Do I need more?"

"No, you don't," He replied, "but you can still look."

I turned back to the shelves, holding lamps, lights, a few posters at the end, picture frames, the whole shabang. "This...I can't. Can we just go?" He chuckles, walking forwards. "Aw, c'mon. You've been staring pretty hard at this lava lamp. You sure you want nothing?"

He held a small blue and pink lava lamp, placing it in front of his face. "I'm colorful! Buy me!" His playful tone aimed towards me as the box 'speaks'.

I attempt to suppress a snicker. "My mom doesn't like decorations." The words seemed so normal in my head.

A punch through the chest followed, and I stood awkwardly as I saw Stark's face contort into an unreadable expression. Shit...did I offend him? Was I going to be kicked out of the tower? "You know your mom isn't here, right?" I eased myself a bit. Maybe I could talk to him. "I brought her with me when I arrived. She's in the small wooden box..."

I stare down at my feet, avoiding his stare. I must've fucked up because he goes quiet for a minute. But before I can utter an apology, he pats my shoulder.

"It's okay, kid. Shit happens." My eyes move back up, meeting his. A glossy sadness smiles down from a glimmer in his eye as his lips follow suit. "It's fine, Mr. Stark. She's been deceased for a few years now. I just find it comforting to have her around is all," I lie. It doesn't sound so wrong, does it? But the real reason I still have her is that she wanted to be with me. Long after death. I wanted to place her into a necklace or turn her into art, but they both seemed like uncomfortable places. One is too cramped, the other is adding her to molten glass and then spinning her. I wouldn't do anything to her in death that would be harmful or uncomfortable in life. Even a relatively small box seemed better than burial. I couldn't bear to leave her to rot away 6 feet below the surface in a glorified crate. She told me specifically that she wanted to be near me. That she needed me. So I granted her wish.

"Still. Loss is difficult. Especially family." He ruffles my hair a bit, as his sadness was replaced with softness. "But now you have a new family. That's all that really matters now." I smile, his hand practically falling off my shoulder. "Now, if you don't want anything, we can leave. Okay?" He takes the comforter under his arm and a sheet set in his free hand, looking at me. "Ready?"

With a moment of thought, I look back into his eyes. "Almost." His head tilts as I grab the box he had used as a puppet only moments before. "You were right about me liking the lamp."

We finally made it back to the tower. I ended up finding a couple of books that seemed interesting while we were out, hoping to add them to my room. Not much, but it was still enjoyable. Especially spending time with one of my new co-workers. "After you, little miss." He chuckled, letting me carry the majority of my items into the elevator. "Why is the blanket so heavy?!" I grunt out before everything slips out of my hands. "And that is why I volunteered to take the lamp." He snickered. "At least nothing broke."

I sigh, collapsing to the elevator floor. I'm really not strong enough for this shit, am I? Anthony walked over, pushing the button. "Now, going up. Speaking of up: we might wanna pick up the mess of shopping. It looks like your bedroom has already pre-vomited on you." I can't help but smile. "Yeah, and I chose the vomit."

I got to my feet, the comforters plastic zipper case already tattered from my anxious picking, my sheet set was opened a bit, my book spines already cracked out of excitement. I then promptly became car-sick and had to put them away. But if I'm entirely honest with myself? I wouldn't have changed a thing.