Chapter Thirty-Three

"And I wonder where I got it from." Klein chuckles as he shoots off from the island. Huffing in outrage, I fly off after them, catching up easily. 

"Okay, I guess I do kinda deserve that," I laugh over the wind, and Klein shoots me a frustrated look as if he had wanted to get far ahead of me. 

We keep flying around, searching for a good hunting spot. It doesn't seem like we'll ever find one. The sun begins to set after a few good hours of killing flying mobs, and we're forced to walk thanks to the flying limit. 

As we march through the forest, I notice the woods have become silent. I perk up, surveying the area around us. Everything looks normal, but it doesn't sound or feel normal at all. I tap Klein's shoulder as the boys continue walking, and he whirls around, almost drawing his sword. 

I force myself not to laugh at his reaction, focusing on the trees. It's almost as if I can hear something...strange. Klein must've sensed this, too, due to his reaction. Kirito stops a few feet away, stiffening up. He kneels down, but a second later, his leg is yanked out from behind him. He shoots up into the canopy with a yelp of panic, then dangles there. He tries to reach up, but the moment he does, a chorus of giggles rises from the bushes. 

"H-hey, it's not funny!" Kirito shouts and the giggles only get louder.

"Hey, who do you think you are? Come out!" I bark, and the laughter dies down. "Don't make me come find you! You don't want me to. Trust me." I rest a hand on the hilt of my broadsword, clutching the hilt and making it rattle. 

"Okay, okay! It was just a joke!" A familiar voice rasps, and out of the brush emerges Asuna, Sylvia, and Lizbeth. They're all teary-eyed with laughter, and Liz is still chuckling to herself. Asuna is still holding a vine that seems connected to the one twined around Kirito's ankle. 

"Some joke..." Kirito mumbles, glaring daggers at them. 

"I could drop you on your head if I wanted to, you dummy." Asuna retorts, letting the vine slip. Kirito shouts as he bounces down, but Asuna saves the vine before he can hit the ground. Klein and I stand there rather awkwardly, knowing this is just a stupid lover's quarrel. 

After making it back to the safe zone, we say our farewells to Kirito and the girls, then log off. I set the NerveGear on the nightstand, letting out a sigh as memories well to the back of my mind. 

No...no. That's over. This is the real world... I smile, glancing at the door, thinking of Klein and our friends. And I like it better than anything the virtual one can offer.

(YEARS LATER...)

"Aito, be careful!" I call from my rocking chair. "Watch your brother!"

"Okay, Momma!" Aito shouts back, racing down to the pond with little Eiji trailing behind him. I let out a little sigh when Aito doesn't seem to slow down, and Klein pats my hand reassuringly.

"Don't worry. They'll be fine." Klein chuckles, offering me his hand. "So, I found something I think you'll like."

"Oh, yeah? What would that be?" I smile, taking his hand and standing up. 

Klein doesn't respond, only steps into the house. Several moments later, he comes back with an old, antique radio. I can't help but grin as he puts a disk in the slot, our favorite song playing through the older speakers. "Care for a dance?"

We both step off of the porch, dancing and swinging to the rhythm. The forest surrounding our little cabin seems to sing along, the crickets chirping a melody as the cattails by the pond scratch out a beat. The setting sun paints the sky beautiful shades of red, stars peeking from the early night sky. 

THE END

Thank you so much for supporting this book! It's been a pleasure writing it, and I hope you enjoyed reading it!

Adios mis Amigos and Amigas! 👋