Chapter 1

1 day. That's how long I have to wait until I am finally 18. 1 day, and the rest of my math class. I'm sitting in the back of the class and I can hear the other girls whispering. I can feel the guys looking at me. I stand out. The only Goth in a school full of preps and gangsters, cheerleaders and jocks. But it's not only my style, it's also my eyes. They are unnatural. Light violet on the outside, fading to a royal purple on the inside. I ignore all the insults, glares and laughs. I continue drawing on my hands and arms. Faces. I've been dreaming of 5 guys, 5 hot guys, 5 guys I don't know. In my dream though, we seem close. Happy. Like a family. The bell rings and everyone jumps up, ready for the weekend. In the background, I hear the teacher trying to tell the students to not forget to do their homework. I grab my bag and walk out, not interested in what page or what questions we have to do. I'm almost 18, and my best friend, Rina, isn't here to celebrate it with me. Instead of going back to Alexis and Darren's place, my "home", I head straight to the cemetery.

It's 11:59 pm and I'm in my favorite spot. The space under the giant oak tree between my parents graves. Lying there, I can see the full moon shining down from the spaces in the leaves. I look at my cell again, 12:00 am

"Happy birthday..." I sigh and grab one of the black bat cookies I brought with me. I haven't been feeling well today. It was weird though, not like a cold or flu, but like something was inside of me and trying to get out. Now, the feeling came rushing back, only with more force. I curled up on my side and was drifting off, when I heard a noise. My eyes flew open and I found myself staring at nothing. Only more darkness. My heart was pounding in my chest, all though I didn't feel scared. The feeling was back, it felt like a herd of elephants were trying to rip out of my skin. I broke out in a cold sweat, while my body felt like it was on fire. I got on all fours and started panting, trying to steady my breathing. My arms and legs were feeling better, and when I looked down, I didn't see the pale skin that was there before, instead, I saw black fur and paws. I started to scream, but it turned into a howl. My entire body felt better now. My nose was now a snout, I looked behind me and saw a fluffy tail. But what really surprised me were the two giant black ravens wings that were sticking up from my back. As I watched, the wings retracted and I was back in my human "form". Packing everything up, I ran to Alexis and Darren's place, anxious to crawl into bed and go to sleep, waking up from this obvious dream.