The Last Night

He didn't remember much of that night, only the smoke that blocked his vision and strangled his lungs, the blood splattered on the street, and the fear that permeated the air. The loud clang of metal against metal, as his bodyguard shoved his little body out of the way of the sharp blade, glistening with blood, his clan, his family's blood, he realized with growing terror.

Then, his memory blanked out, little bits and pieces appearing every now and again. 

Him running down the street, scrambling out of the way of the enemy's blades, adrenaline pumping through his veins.

Someone intercepting a ninja who was heading in his direction.

A clan member--Family! his mind screamed-- leaping in front of a blade, taking the blow meant for the stumbling four-year-old. For the precious clan heir, he thought bitterly.

He raced into the domed building, heart racing and gasping for air. The shinobi inside immediately closed the door behind him, slapping seals onto the metal door. There were only a few people inside, his mother, his father, his grandfather the uzukage, and a group of six children, two girls four boys, huddled together on a seal etched into the ground. 

The memory sped up again, his mother inserting items into a storage seal placed on his wrist, him meeting the six children, his grandfather tweaking the seal so it would self-destruct after use, his father giving him a memory seal drawn on paper that only activated with an Uzumaki's chakra, him stepping on the carefully woven seal.

And the last one, the one he, Uzumaki Arashi, will never forget. The doors bursting open, shinobi streaming in. The soft, orange glow of the seal activating. Tears streaming down his face as he stared at his village, his home, one last time. His parents, lying dead on the bloodied ground, eyes dull and lifeless. Fire raging in the once great village. The flag wielding the proud insignia of the Uzumaki, once standing tall, now flutters down, soaking in the blood of his fallen kin, the cloth trampled underfoot.

The flash of light from the seal blinded him, but it didn't stop him from hearing the invader's triumphant cry, "Uzushiogakure has fallen, under the might of our forces!"