Chapter One: My True Home

Start from the beginning

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

I kept watch, my eyes towards the area I had flown from. As I did, many animals flocked towards me, curious. I gave a small chuckle at one specific white wolf.

"I am Alpha Solstice, creature. The birds have whispered in my ears about you, but I didn't believe it. Now you are in front of my old, withered eyes, tell me, creature, what is your name?" The old, white wolf asked.

He had a long, pink scar over his left eye, a wise blue color. He seemed calm when he spoke. So, I thought, he is the commander here.

"I am Ashe. I escaped from HYDRA. I seek not to harm nor bother you. I am only here to rest before I take my leave."

"Well then, Ashe, let me take you to a place better than underneath an old pine tree." He said, slight amusement in his low bark.

I smiled. "If it wouldn't be too much of a bother, Alpha."

He waited for me to get up, before he walked, setting a slow but steady pace, North.

"This is what we like to call The Domum, meaning Home in the old language. Though, if what the birds said are true, you already know that."

"HYDRA made sure, by the age of ten, I already knew most languages, math, and basic medical information. Along with anatomy: human and animal, Alpha." Oh my, it sounded if I was pitching myself to him!

He let out a playful growl, "Call me Solstice, Child. I will have none of that Alpha, business. I am a friend, not a ruler." I smiled again, letting out a giggle. It's funny. The only one who has ever shown me an ounce of kindness, other than the birds, whose tweets still sounded obnoxious and gossipy, is a wolf. A beast known only for ravenous hunger, and unwavering destruction.

"Yes, Solstice. So, where exactly are we? In human terms, I mean. My goal is to make my way to New York City- where there are more people like me."

"Ashe, I will warn you, and advise you to stay. They are not all accepting in the human world. There is good in them- yes, but also great darkness. I will not make this choice for you, though. If you feel your place is with them, then go, but you are always welcome."

I furrowed my brow at that. My choice may affect this forest greatly. I could either stay with Solstice in the Domum, and learn their ways, safe from the- as Solstice put it- great darkness of the humans. Or, I could go, and protect others from HYDRA, along with Earth's mightiest heroes. I could be remembered, and most likely die in battle, or I could finally have a break from all the violence, and stay here, listening to the stories while basking in peace.

"I have grown fond of you, I must admit, already, Cub. I hope you stay with us. If what the birds have said are true, then haven't you had enough violence in your life?" He said.

"I... I'll stay. Thank you, Alph- Solstice." She said, a slight smile on her lips. "Thank you. I am in your debt."

"You say that now, wait 'til you meet River." If wolves could chuckle, he would have let out a full out laugh. "We are here, Cub."

I hadn't noticed we had stopped, but when I had, I saw, about a yard away, a beautiful brown wolf, guarding a mossy cave.

The cave- den, had what I could only describe as natural beauty. Moss and vines covered a tree strewn across the top, a bed of leaves trailing its way inside. Again, the only words I could use to describe it was Natural and Beauty.

"Solstice, who is this creature you have brought?" The wolf said hesitantly.

"This is Ashe. She escaped from humans, who have given her wings." He said. "Cub, this is my mate, River."

"You may call me Beta, Ashe. It is nice to meet you." She said, still weary, but relaxing.

"Oh, don't pay her any mind, Cub. She's still mad that I left her to go hunt!" He chuckled.

"Am not!" She said, indigence clear on her face. "Maybe next time I'll leave you alone with those monsters, and I'll go run off into the forest!"

"Monsters!?" I asked, eyes wide. Again, Solstice chuckled.

"Well, little monsters. I know you're in there. Why don't you come out and greet our newest pack member?

All at once three little wolf pups, two brown and black, and the third grey, pounced at Solstice, letting out little excited barks.

"Papa! Papa!" The grey one said, "I want to go hunting with you next time! Mamma made us stay in the den all day!"

"Lily, this is Ashe. She is our newest pack member, treat her with respect." He let out a few barks, as the other two pups tag-teamed him, ganging up on his tail. It never even stood a chance. "Hunter, Pine. I expect the same for you. Ashe, these are River and I's pups: Hunter," He motioned to one of the brown-and-black pups, who was slightly larger than the other two. "Pine," he looked to another, who was looking at me with a slightly curious gaze, his amber eyes gleaming. "And Lily. Lily's real parents died in a forest fire, so we have taken her in as our own." Suddenly, the grey pup- Lily- tackled me, coming to the conclusion I wasn't a threat to her.

I fell down when the unexpected weight hit my chest. Her brothers soon joined her, sniffing and licking my face.

"S-stop! Tha-that tickles!" I laugh. "Oh no! Save me! The monsters have caught their prey, I am no match for these fierce warriors!"

"Rawr!"

"He he! Get her!... By the way I'm sorry if I hurt you..."

"Pine! C'mon! We are strong warriors! You've met your match, you... What are you?"

I laughed as all three pups paused, turning their curious eyes towards me. "My name is Ashe. I don't really know what I am, though." I shrugged. The pups seemed satisfied with my insufficient answer, though, because they started pouncing, trying to get me. Honestly, it tickled.

"Okay, Lily, Pine, Oak. It's dinner time." Beta called to her pups.

"But Mamma! We have to defeat the intruder!" Oak whined, his golden eyes meeting Beta's own matching pair.

"No buts. And treat our guest with respect." She was frowning, but I could see the glint of amusement in her eyes; her pups were adorable, and she knew it, too.

Oak seemed to realize he could have offended me by calling me an intruder, his eyes wide. He turned towards me. "Ashe? I'm really sorry if I hurt your feelings." I laughed again.

"No, no! You have to protect your home. It's okay. Now, if I were you, I'd go eat before Beta comes and drags you away by the tail." All three pups eyes went wide, as they glanced towards their mother. She didn't confirm not deny it, giving the pups a black stare. They weren't going to risk it, so they hurried and followed her into the den, leaving me alone with Solstice.

The alpha had been watching the scene with amusement. "I see you will get on with the pups just fine. Why don't I show you where to make your nest?"

As I walked into the den, only one thought crossed my mind:

I finally found my home.

Oh, how wrong I'd been.

Okay, so this is my Avengers/Marvel story. I have a few chapters lined up, so I should have a pretty good schedule with this. Leave comments, please! I hope you all enjoy Ashes and my other story, Run Aways. This story won't really focus on romance though. Also, it's not Civil War compliant. I will leave pictures of each OC introduced up above. The white wolf is Alpha Solstice.

ENJOY!

~Wren