A Proscriptive Relationship - One-Shot Contest

"Hey, man, are you ready?" Jeremy asked, poking his head through the door. I stared at myself in the mirror, taking a deep breath in, and pushing it all out. I glanced at my best man through the mirror, and nodded. Adjusting my bow-tie, I walked out of the back door and into the steeple.

I looked straight ahead, fixing a smirk on my face as I walked down the aisle. My heart was pounding, even more than it did when I was getting ready to fight in my days as a gang member. It's all in the past now, I assured myself.

The guests were already seated, and the church became silent. I took my place next to the altar; Jeremy grinned at me and winked, giving me a thumbs up. The bride's mother was seated in the front row, and she was beaming at me.

The organ started to play the infamous wedding tune and all heads turned towards the entrance doors. My heart was pounding in my chest, and I wiped my sweaty hands on my dress pants, nervously awaiting her arrival.

The grand doors opened slowly and I smirked, anticipating her blushing face, sparkling blue eyes, and shiny brown hair.

The bridesmaids walked down the aisle, all dressed in lilac dresses, and then the maid of honor walked in, Casey's arm looped through Lance's.

A flash of white, and my heart lurched. My eyes widened and my smirk faltered, looking into the eyes of the one I loved and always will love.

She caught sight of me and quickly looked down, her face flushing a delicate pink. I smiled, loving how predictable and how easy to read she was.

Everyone seemed to fall away as the girl I loved, clad in a beautiful silk white dress, walked down the aisle. Each step she took brought her closer to being mine. Finally able to protect her from danger, a sense of relief flowed through me.

~*~

"Do you, Chris Heywood, take this woman, Holly Evers, to be your lawfully wedded wife, according to God's holy decree; do you promise to be to her, a loving and loyal husband, to cherish and keep her in sickness and in health; and, forsaking all others, to be faithful only to her as long as you both shall live?"

"I do," I answered, smirking.

"And do you, Holly Evers, take this man, Chris Heywood, to be your lawfully wedded husband, according to God's holy decree; do you promise to be to him, a loving and loyal wife, to cherish and keep him in sickness and in health; and, forsaking all others, to be faithful only to him as long as you both shall live?"

"I do," she said softly, blushing.

"I now pronounce you, husband and wife, may the Peace and the Unconditional Love of God surround you and remain with you now and forevermore. Amen"

I stared into her eyes, not letting her look away, and took hold of both her hands. Still smirking, I leaned down towards her, with my lips just a millimeter apart, and whispered, "I love you, Holly Heywood."