Prologue

Prologue

Music is my life. I do not say this lightly. I am 100% serious. Without music there is no point to living. Ever since I can remember music has always played a big part in my life.

When I was young I can remember music class being my favorite of all classes. It was also the one where I never went down in it grade wise. My fondest memory of music classes was in 3rd guitar and we needed to pick an instrument to play for the spring concert. I was looking at the instruments and I played all of them. Then I went to my teacher and the response I gave her was one I will never forget.

"Miss. Lane, I can't choose an instrument. I tried all of the instruments, but I can play all of them."

My teacher looked at me like I was a crazy and asked me what I meant by that. I told her again and took about 3 different instruments and played all of them for her. I played all of them perfectly like I had been playing them all of my life. My teacher's expression was of pure astonishment. She could not believe that I could play all of those instruments so well. She looked at me, not being able to say anything. I asked if she was okay and that seemed to break her out of her trance.

"Why don't you choose the instrument you like to play the best." She said, with her brow furrowed and patted my head.

I cocked my head confused, but decided on playing the piano for the spring concert. After the show, my music teacher asked me if I had ever played an instrument before. I told her no. She looked really puzzled and said that she would like to talk to my mom about my music skills.

Once we got home, my mom told me that my music teacher recommended that I take private music lessons with a well-known music teacher who had taught some famous musicians. Now being about 9 years old I did not really understand what she meant, but I said okay to it. After a few calls, I had an audition for this music teacher. On the day of the audition, I passed with flying colors. The teacher, David Hoffman, said he was just blown away.

From that day on I really started getting into music. I played everyday and made sure that when I got home all my homework and studying was done. I played for hours upon hours with many instruments throughout elementary and middle school. But then high school came. That was the year that my whole perspective on music was completely changed.