Living Again~ Fifteen

CHAPTER 15

"I'll miss you guys too! We'll definitely see each other soon. Love you three!" I said farewell to Mia, Shelly and Jess. Mia and Shelly had work to attend and Jess was going to meet up with Kevin, I think they had already made up somewhere between last night and this morning. They're so cute. I waved at the car as they drove away then closed the door.

So it was going to be just me, Katelyn and Chad. Awkward? I hope not.

"He just texted me saying he'll be here in a minute." She smiled nervously and I nodded. We just walked around the house until the doorbell rang. I tried not to laugh as Katelyn hurriedly rushed to the door and flung it open. Before she could even greet him he had her in his arms, hugging her to his now very lean body. He had changed a lot. His black hair was up in spikes sticking out from everywhere, his skin was much more tanned and he seemed to have grown. He was almost unrecognisable as his boyish features were not much more defined and manly.

I coughed loudly. Katelyn blushed looking down and Chad finally looked over and slowly made his way towards me. He kept his eyes to mine as we heard Katelyn say, "You guys catch up, I'll be in the kitchen!"

I just nodded. He was now standing right in front of me. I wasn't sure what to do so I hesitantly said, "So are we gonna greet, hug, shake hands or something?" He just kept looking at me, I offered him my hand to shake but then he pulled me into a bear hug. It was different from the way he had hugged Katelyn though. With her it was out of adoration and love, with us it was just friendship and care. It felt great. He was family.

"So... I guess you missed me, huh?" I laughed.

"Marissa, you had us all scared. The way you just disappeared." He didn't even smile.

"I'm sorry, I was lost. I didn't want to turn to anyone.... I'm sorry. Won't happen again."

"Promise?"

"Promise." I nodded and he finally smiled warmly.

"So... You and Katelyn, huh?"

"Yeah. She's something isn't she?"

I smiled happily and felt stupid for thinking this would be awkward at all. "That's why she's our best friend."

He nodded smiling. "So, tell me everything. What's been going on in your life? Found someone to replace me yet?"

"Haha, maybe." I joked around with him.

"Well then I'll have to meet him and see if I approve." He said protectively.

"So you're gonna be like my father now are you?" I tried not to laugh at how serious he was.

"Well, I think I have the right since I'm your best friend. Wait, I AM still your best friend right?"

"Of course silly! And I don't have a boyfriend, I was just fooling around with your little head. You're like my brother Chad, I'll always love you as family."

He squeezed my hand, "Thanks. And I guess I'll have to love you too since you're going to be stealing my girlfriend so much!"

I laughed again, "No, I'm leaving today. You can have her back."

"Oh that's good." I gasped. He laughed and added, "I'm kidding don't kill me!"

I rolled my eyes and Katelyn came in, sitting next to me. We talked forever. It was like before, when it was just the three of us, chatting in the treehouse we built when we were 5, or in the coffee shop when we were supposed to be studying. So when it was time to leave, I was feeling sad.

"I'll miss you Marissa!"

"I'll miss you too Katelyn! And you too, Chad."

They both gave me long hugs and then I was off, leaving behind the place which I was so comfortable in and had so many friends at. To go to a place where I felt alone and the only friend I made turned out to be a lying jerk. Life's great isn't it?

"Marissa, you're back!" Claire chimed as she answered the door. "How was the weekend?"

"It was great! I had loads of fun."

"That's good to hear." She smiled at me and we had some dinner. I listened to Joe talk about something funny which happened at work. Just as I was about to go upstairs to my room Claire called out, "Oh yeah Marissa, Ethan came by. I told him you were gone for the weekend so he said he'll come by again tomorrow!"

They both smiled at me, probably happy that Ethan and I were such good friends. They don't know anything about that backstabbing moron. If they continue talk all goody-goody about him, I'll just have to tell them what happened so they can share my hate for him.

I sighed. The last thing I wanted to do was see Ethan Reed right after I had spent such a great weekend with some real friends. But then again, I might as well let him apologise then tell him to leave me alone.

I went to bed straight after dinner that night, utterly exhausted.