The Promise

I felt a sudden surge of pain race through my body and for a moment it felt like everything was playing out in slow motion. The bright headlights coming towards me blinded my vision and the piercing sound of tyres screeching left a ringing in my ears. But it was too late; I felt an excruciating force smash into my side, sending me hurtling over the car onto the cold hard pavement. I lay there, unable to move.  I tried to open my eyes but my eyelids felt so heavy, all I wanted to do was close them and fall into a deep sleep and dream.

“Stay with me…please” a voice whispered; his hand repetitively stroking my hair. I slightly opened my eyes to see his deep green eyes staring adoringly back. “Help will be here soon, I promise” He chocked trying to hold back tears. Cameron. My Cameron.

 I nodded; my throat too dry to reply. My body felt numb and suddenly very cold. Cameron took a hold of my hand and soothingly rubbed his thumb in a circular motion. “Think of our favourite memory and don’t let it go, just stay with me” he pleaded, slightly tightening his grip on my hand as if that very connection could keep me with him.

My mind flashed back to the cold winter night on the beach. I was wrapped up in his arms, gazing at the stars. Everything seemed so clear, so real. “If you could go anywhere in the world, where would you go?” I asked, sitting up to take a better look at his face. His brown hair was all dishevelled from lying down and I can’t remember a time when I ever wanted him more than I did then. His skin was lightly tanned from the previous summer and his green eyes held a sparkle that promised both trouble and excitement. I watched him as he sat up to face me. He was perfect and I couldn’t imagine life without him. “Nowhere.” He replied “Everything I want to see is here with me”. He gently ran his fingers up my arm and I could feel my cheeks turning pink. I looked down, letting my long brown hair fall in front of my face, shielding me from his stare. He slowly moved onto his knees and lifted my face to meet his. “I want you forever” he continued “Through the good, the bad and ugly.” He paused and stared so intently into my eyes, I could feel my stomach doing summersaults. “I love you” he whispered. I gaped at him, unable to catch my breath. My heart was beating so loud, I was sure he could hear it. I always imagined what it would be like to hear those words, but now I was I didn’t know what to do. I wanted to capture this moment and save it in my mind for a rainy day. “I love you t-” I started but before I could even finish my sentence his lips were on mine kissing me. I sunk beneath him as his hands gently ran up my legs onto my waist. I pulled him closer and I could feel him smiling against my lips. He gently pulled back and put his forehead against mine, his breathing deep and uneven. His eyes gazed affectionately into mine and in that moment I knew we were in love and I hoped, I prayed that it would last forever.                                                         

I slowly opened my eyes savouring the memory. His beautiful face was above mine, his green eyes filled with tears. “I love you” I whispered, a single tear rolling down my cheek.

“I love you too” He replied, his voice breaking. He lowered his lips to my ear and whispered “Forever and always. I promise” He moved a strand of hair from my face, and gently kissed my forehead.

I smiled to myself and closed my eyes feeling content, letting myself sink into the darkness as his last words replayed in my mind. “Forever and always, I promise”.