[ 14 ] flames of death

Start from the beginning

"Hey," Bellamy addresses her softly, "you doing alright?"

The girl almost jumps when I gently squeeze her shoulder, but she recovers almost immediately, "Uh, yes."

"That sounds convincing," I attempt to joke, before giving in and sighing slightly, "It's okay, Clarke."

"You did the right thing," Bellamy adds from the other side of her.

It's easy to see that the blonde doesn't believe it herself as she purses her lips, "Now I get to live with it. You still think this truce is a bad idea, don't you?"

Bellamy shoots me a look, before glancing back at Clarke, "I think we're wasting time with politics while our friends are in trouble."

I nod, humming begrudging, "While it would be easier to get into Mount Weather with an army of grounders, I don't think I can wait much longer. Especially now."

"That's why we need them and you know it, Bellamy," Clarke pushes, nodding in my direction, before sending me an apologetic glance, "We'll get all of them out, Emily. As soon as we can."

I nod, smiling gratefully, though inside, I feel frustration dominating over my patience. I selfishly think that she doesn't understand my own reasons why I would be ready to leave for Mount Weather instantly, if needed.

Then, Bellamy cuts in, "Their army has been getting their ass kicked by Mount Weather forever. What we need is an inside man, someone to be our eyes and ears."

My head tilts back up instantly as I hear his suggestion, kickstarting a newfound wave of sheer determination in me, "That's a brilliant idea! If we have someone on that side of the wall, we have access to all information we could possibly need!"

"Forget it," Clarke shakes her head, holding onto the straps of her pack, "It's too dangerous."

"Everything is dangerous here, Clarke," I argue. A part of me is glad that the younger girl cares for everyone so deeply she wouldn't let them on a mission as dangerous as this one alone, yet I still feel myself getting worked up over the fact that she's wasting the time we don't really have at the moment.

"Clarke, if you can make it out, I can make it in!" Bellamy insists and my eyes widen immediately; I didn't realize he would play the role of an inside man, so I cut in right away.

"Hold up, you? How about I go instead?" I suggest heatedly, but my proposal gets denied by both Clarke and Bell faster than I can even properly end my question.

"I said, no!" The girl retorts sharply, succeeding in momentarily stunning Bellamy and I.

He shakes his head, glaring at me, "You. Don't even think about it. And, since I don't take orders from you," he addresses Clarke, "I'm gonna need a better reason."

I huff in annoyance, knowing I can't achieve much with words. I begin to seriously contemplate other ways I can possibly help our people as soon as I can.

"I can't lose you, too, okay?" Clarke admits softly, "Both of you."

-

The walk to the village turned out to be even longer than I expected; we had to settle down for the night, meaning, everyone had to share a camp. The night was pretty unnerving, to say the least, and I didn't get much sleep. Each time I closed my eyes, the fresh wounds of our road to this truce clouded my mind. I caught myself thinking of Finn and the impact his death left on my friends.