As I’m pinching Grey’s ears while smiling dryly, the door squeaks open

"I'd rather sleep with rats."

"I'm sure the street's filled with them. Don't hold back, please," I reply dryly to Jordan. "How can you even be like this after almost dying."

Jordan gives me a look like I shouldn't have said what I said. Like it was illegal.

It strikes me quickly. The reason Jordan's acting like her usual, snappy self is that she wants everything to be as usual again. Even I can't blame her for that. The event was so traumatic that even after the healing, I'm not mentally stable. I can only imagine how Jordan feels. Fighting gargoyles, being on the brink of death. No hope. It's really dramatic for teenagers such as us to take in. Hell, probably equally hard for adults.

Walking up to a speechless, sad Jordan, I remember the time we first met. She wasn't hostile towards me. The reason she became like this towards me was that I choked her out of impulse. It wasn't personal or anything, but it was the first thing I had in mind. Waking up on a bed, a girl walking in, making sure you're all right. Who wouldn't act violent towards that?

"Jordan, I have nothing against you," I say softly, staring into her eyes. It's hard to catch her gaze, but once I catch it, she doesn't break it. "This really isn't the time to be like this to each other—" She knows perfectly what I mean by "this". "—and I'm sorry I came off to you in such a hostile way." I sigh. Apologizing is never easy. Especially for a stubborn girl like me. "I'll put everything in the past if you agree to do the same."

The words feel like a load of coal off my back, but at the same time, I'm not really enjoying proposing this pact.

Jordan doesn't answer for what seems like minutes, but what really is seconds.

"It's going to be hard. With a speech like that though, I have to agree. As much as I hate it."

We don't hug. We don't smile.

"I'm going to bed," she says flatly, giving me a poker face as she slides into the bed. Grey jumps off and slips through the door.

"So does this mean—"

She raises her hand, cutting me off. "Yes, now I don't want to hear you say it. Goodnight."

Not sure if I should turn off the lights or not, I do anyway, power flowing gently in me.

I close the door behind me, happy that I'm gaining control over my power. Things just need some getting used to.

The lights in the hallway flicker as I make my way towards the kitchen. Thinking of Kathy, I grow angry. Lights are still uncontrollable with my mood, but I doubt there's any way to fix that. I'd have to fix my mood swings first.

Lorcan and Kathy's voices ring through the hallway as I approach them, running a hand through my hair, wondering when I'll be able to take a shower. Lorcan catches the sight of me and quickly scurries off into the room Cliff took. Kathy stares at me, her bulging, but still pretty eyes locked on mine.

"You want to talk?"

Nodding, I reluctantly take a seat. Kathy sits across from me about three feet away.

Her hands rub her knees as she fumbles in her seat, obviously thinking of what to say next. "There's no reason to be hostile towards me," she takes a breath, "I know who took her."

This interests me right away. I scoot a bit closer, but not close enough for her to give me a warm pat on the shoulder.

"Who?" I say once I notice she's not continuing. She doesn't look at me. "Who?" I urge.