𝖔. Prologue: "This is Not a Hero's Story..."

Start from the beginning

       So they knew her powers. They knew of the myth of Moroi Morningstar, of the daughter of the devil that was essentially a vampire, feeding off of energy instead of blood, and they tracked her down. Even if she could fight properly, they had the precautions in place already. The worst was the handcuffs, made of iron, that burned her wrists every time they brushed against her skin.

       ... OK. When she says if she could fight, she means this: she normally can't. Isabelle doesn't know what they've done to this room, but for forty days she could feel her energy dripping away, piece by piece. When she managed to get a hold of that man, she didn't know what she was doing. She thinks it was some sort of fight or flight reaction, her body desperate to take something's energy. Like, she's always been superhuman (you can't be the devil's daughter without some power) but she's never used it, save for getting onto the middle school cheerleading team, or running a little quicker to get to class on time. But in that moment — Isabelle used all of the Satan given strength she had, ignoring the way her skin burned as it brushed past the iron bars to grab the man's collar. She was going to escape.

       She had ran down the hallway. She could hear shouts, she could see the red glow of Wanda Maximoff's magic, and she ran. I'm getting out of here, she told herself, even though she could feel the energy in her body on the brink. She was exhausted. She caught her reflection when she ran out, and she looked terrible. Her skin was ice-white, so pale her veins were bright blue. She doesn't remember what else happened; all she remembers is fading in and out of consciousness, and crashing to the floor, and Captain America saying to someone, "Is this who we're looking for?"

       It actually upsets her a little, because Isabelle loves Captain America. She always thought he was super cool — and this has got nothing to do with Marie (if anything, Marie thinks it's weird) — and this is how she meets her hero? By fucking fainting? Like, look. Isabelle has some sick powers. She can turn into a bat. And her favourite superhero ever doesn't get to see any of that? Fucking tragic, isn't it?

       Her nanny was with them, when they broke into the HYDRA fortress somewhere in Europe. Apparently it took Marie five minutes to realise Isabelle had been taken. "You had hidden your necklace, you never go a second without it," she had told her, as she handed back the necklace to Isabelle. "I knew something was wrong, and I saw the mess in the hallway, I saw the security cameras..." Marie had smiled when she got to this part. "And I stormed into Avengers Tower, and demanded they get my little girl back."

       Isabelle had smiled softly. Her fingers clasped around the necklace's stone, missing it. She felt wrong without it for those forty days, but she didn't want the bad men to get it, so she hid it before they spotted it.

       So now, she sits in the room she's been given for the time being, until she gets better, and she lets out a sigh. She doesn't want this. Sure, she loves Captain America, but she's never wanted to be a superhero. For years she's been told about what will happen to her, as the daughter of the devil, if angels' children realise where she is, and she can't help it, she's scared by that. They all think she's evil, when she's not... She can just turn into a bat... And run faster than a Olympic athlete... And take someone's energy...

       There's a knock at the door. Isabelle thinks it's Marie with a suitcase of her clothes, or maybe even the FedEx guy with the stuff she ordered to here, desperate for some sort of clothing that doesn't have the Avengers logo on it. So she goes, "It's open!"

       And then Captain America opens the door, and Isabelle frowns.

       "Uh, hi?" she says. This is weird.