Prologue

"I lived a pretty ordinary life. I had no love interests coming my way, no exciting job, and I haven't spoken with any of my family members for at least five years. I soared under the radar my whole life with no regrets.

So, when it became my time, I of course came willingly. I mean, you speak to a kid who says he's your reaper, see your body on a metal slab, and realize no one alive can see you. Why the hell would you want to stay there?"

The woman, who said her name was Minerva, gave me a skeptical look. "So, you have no unfinished business, Vera Andras?"

"Nope, none but -- why do I feel like I'm getting the third degree here?" I asked her. I finally made it to one of the judgement rooms after waiting in line for what felt like three hours. "I mean, isn't it good that I don't have unfinished business?"

Minerva cocks her head to the side as she replies, "Well, it's rare that you don't. However, since we have the general questions answered, do you have any questions for me?"

"Besides whether I'm going up or down...no, I don't."

"Well, as I said in the beginning of the question process, we have to evaluate all the good and bad deeds done in your beforelife to find out where you'll be going. Until then, enjoy purgatory." The door swung open and a lady entered with a clipboard as if on cue. "Miss Peller will take you to your lodging and also show you the fabulous community center where you can talk with other spirits who are also waiting for their final judgement as well."

Getting up, I glanced away from Minerva for only a second, but when I looked back to say goodbye to her, she was gone. "Where did she go?!"

Miss Peller gives me sympathetic look as she says in a light tone, "Welcome to the Afterlife."