Chapter 1: The dark night

It's  dark....dark enough to see completely nothing...blank.... the silence is too loud but it didn't really matter now... I was squatting down in a sitting position, hands wrapped around my knees and my back touching the cold metal wall sending shivers down my spine...I bury my face between my knees gulping my saliva in trying not to create any sound...

creak~

The door opens slowly allowing the cold air to enter...I have a sceptical feeling about this but I can't bear staying like this the whole day...

"hello..." I speak while my voice echoes through the room shaking in fear. I try seeing who it is but it was pitch black. "We bought some food for you young lady, you will be released tomorrow so make sure to enjoy till the last bite because you might not get the best out there...unfortunately"

"Thanks.." I reply instantly as he lights up a small candle using a match stick. 

"don't mind me, I am just trying to help some lone folks wandering on their own.." he smiles before shutting the door close again. 

Mister Edison is simply a very lively guard who works under the Police and assists lost children, orphans or also amputees by giving them their needs...although the law here is once you turn 15, the officers will provide you (the children) low rated jobs to work onto and set them on their own will after that.., the same applies to me. My name is Valeria and I am a person of what Mister Edison calls a "lone folk"...yes I lost my parents at the age of seven...and my blurry memories can't seem to remember how and what happened. The officers always laugh at me for this reason, that out of everything all I know is my name and my age. Funny isn't it? well apparently not for me. 

I unwrap the box I just received and find a medium sized burger with some fries and a bottle of water. Well that's enough for now. I take a bite and enjoy the treat I have although I doubt I would be eating delicious meals like these daily and rather be starving for days due to poverty. 

I lay down on the cream coloured sheet that has turned pale brown now and slowly shut my eyes as I see the darkness covering my dull exhausted eyes...

-----------------------------------𓍯-----------------------------------