{•Chapter Twenty-Seven•}

Mulai dari awal

As they treaded lightly back to the security gate, they heard the lock disengage. Passing through the barred door, the duo scan their surroundings in search of the enemy. When they thought it was clear, Krauser leapt from the shadows and grabbed onto Leon. Caught off guard by the attack, the blonde drops his knife, earning a dark chuckle from the larger man. "Give up, Leon. You won't win."

The agent struggled in Krauser's steel grip as the man tried to run his blade through his neck. Gwen hastily grabbed the knife Leon had dropped and drove the sharp blade into the man's back, forcing him to release the agent with a loud grunt of pain. She went to yank the blade out, but Krauser backhanded her across the face before she could. "You little-!"

Gwen fell to the ground, her world spinning from the powerful hit. Her cheek throbbed painfully and she already knew a bruise was beginning to form.

The moment Krauser turned his back to Leon to direct his fierce glare towards the woman, the agent tugged his blade out of the brute's back and kicked him in the side, sending him flying through the air and away from Gwen. Without skipping a beat, he grabbed the archivist and hauled her to her feet, slinging one of her arms over his shoulders. He could tell her eyes weren't focused and she was suffering from dizziness due to the hit. "Bastard's gonna pay for that," he hissed.

"My ears are ringing," Gwen whimpers.

"How's your cheek?" He asked as he dragged her inside another structure to hide from Krauser for a short while.

"Let's just say, I wish we had some ice with us," she replies.

Leon made her sit on top of a wooden barrel so he could get a good look at her cheek. When his fingers grazed the swollen skin, Gwen winced. Then, she felt something dribble down the side of her lip and promptly went to wipe it. When she did, she looked down at her hand to see what it was and saw a small trail of glistening silver.

Being the worrywart he was, Leon became concerned when he spotted the silver blood. "Shit. Did he-?"

"Knock any teeth out? No. I accidentally bit the inside of my cheek when he hit me. It's just a small amount of blood, Leon. We need to find those insignias."

"As much as I hate splitting up, we're going with your plan." He caressed her uninjured cheek as he stared into her lapis eyes. "Be careful."

"I should be telling you that. You'll be the one with a maniac on your tail," Gwen smirked.

Her grin was contagious and caused the blonde to smirk as well. Their moment was shattered when rapid gunfire rained down upon the building they were hiding in. In the distance, they heard Krauser's haunting laughter bounce off the stone of the ruins. Once the gunfire ceased, Leon left Gwen and headed east.

"I know your every move!" Krauser shouted as he pursued Leon, wielding his knife.

"Then come and get me!" Leon taunted with a smug grin.

Weaving through the ruins, the blonde found himself running up a stone stairwell. At the top of the steps, he found a piece of the insignia. He picked up the piece, tracing the panther carved in the stone with his fingers.

The moment Leon spun around, Krauser emerged from his vantage point and jumped down. The man's knife glinted in the burning flame of the torches as he held it at eye level.

"What do you intend to do, restoring Umbrella?" Leon questioned as he and Krauser paced in a half-circle.

"To bring order and balance to this insane world of ours."

Leon tosses the piece of insignia in the air and catches it. "A psycho like you can't bring order or balance."

"You don't seriously think a conservative mind can chart a new course for the world, do you?" Krauser smirk fell when he finally realized one of the agents is missing. "Where'd that little bitch go?"