{•Chapter Twenty-One•}

After a collision with a group of dynamite-wielding cultists and arbalists, Leon and Gwen meandered down a corridor towards the operating room. At every turn, there was a sign plastered to the wall guiding them with a single arrow pointing to where they were heading. The hallway was eerily silent and no ganados were present as they crept towards the operating room. The lack of enemies baffled the agents, wondering why the area felt abandoned and unattended.

"As much as I hate the soldiers, I hate the silence even more," Gwen whispered to Leon. "Where is everybody?"

"Either planning an ambush or there isn't anything down here worth protecting," Leon replied. "But still, it's way too quiet."

Finally reaching the operating room, the glass door slid open. The first things the couple took note of were the rather cold temperature of the room and all the equipment strewn about on a desk. Items were scattered across the floor in a manner as if someone had done it on purpose. Shards of glass were littered around a toppled over medical cart with a various array of colorful liquids surrounding the pieces.

Gwen stepped on a few pieces of glass, creating a small crunching that echoed throughout the room. Leon searched the room for anything and discovered a prep room with something laying on an examination table. It had gray flesh and a rather large mouth with sharp teeth. Its eyes seemed wide open but were lifeless. "I've got a bad feeling about that thing..."

The archivist overheard Leon's mumbling and wondered what he was talking about. She walked over and stood beside him, peering through the slightly foggy glass. "What the hell is that thing?"

Leon glanced over at the shorter woman. "You really want to find out?"

"Hell no."

"Neither do I."

After vanquishing their curiosity of the creature in the locked room, the blonde stood in front of a control panel. A series of red, green, yellow, and blue arrows were displayed on the screen. His eyes bounced over to Gwen, who was rocking back and forth on her heels. He knew she was good at puzzles and enjoyed them. With a smile, he stepped away from the panel. "Have at it."

"Yes!" Gwen scurried over to the panel and rearranged the colorful arrows. After turning the arrows, the door to the operating room slid open. The midnight-haired woman sighed in boredom, leaning her hands against the console. "I thought that would've been more difficult. It is a security system after all."

"Sorry for the disappointment," Leon chuckled as he stepped into the room. Gwen followed and her body became petrified at the sight before her. Blood painted the walls like an eerie canvas with a corpse on the examination table and a parasite impaled over his body.

The operating room shared a close resemblance to Doctor Griffyn's lab, which is what frightened Gwen the most. Instead of the corpse on the table, she imagined herself writhing in pain and coughing up blood after the first injection the twisted doctor administered. She nearly choked on her own blood, but Damon made sure to prevent that in order to continue with his experiments. Unconsciously, she backed away from the operating table and stumbled over her own feet. She fell to the ground, landing on her bottom. She pushed herself away until her back collided against the wall.

Leon heard Gwen's tumble and turned around to see what caused her to fall. He analyzed her shaking body and frightened eyes, which were still glued to the operating table, and was able to connect the puzzle pieces. "Gwen," he called out softly as he slowly approached her. Once he was in front of the terrified woman, he kneeled down. "Griffyn's dead. You're safe."

Gwen inhaled deeply, trying to calm her shaking body. "I know. It's just... it's been six years and I'm still a wreck. I should be over it by now."