I missed my mismatched furniture; my light wooden bed frame with an ivory bookshelf next to it. And across the room was my ebony wardrobe. Even my carpet was a horrible brown color that didn't go with my pink walls at all. Honestly, the entire set up was an eyesore, but I would have given anything to be back in my own bed trying to not get fired from my next job.

There was movement outside the door, followed by what sounded like hushed voices. I sat up in the bed quickly, wondering if Aveline or Xander had forgotten something. But then again they'd been gone for a good hour by now. Wouldn't they have come for it sooner?

I hesitated, but stood up carefully before inching my way to the door. A glance at the doorknob reminded me that I hadn't ever locked it as Xander had suggested. Perhaps that wasn't a bad idea. I inched closer to the door, listening for further voices but not hearing anything. Maybe it was just a passerby looking to do the naughty in a vacant room...

When I was close enough, I reached out to lock the door. Suddenly, it was swung open, causing me to jerk back in fright. There in the doorway were two men I'd never seen before. Both of them were massive, in a suit and tie much like Xander. The one of the left was taller, with brown trimmed hair and strong chiseled facial features. The one on the right had sharper features, a lighter brown hair color, and a weaker jawline. It didn't make him look any less dangerous. In fact, they both had black eyes, their demon face present and intimidating. Unless they were homosexual, I didn't think they were looking for a place to do the hanky panky.

With my heart in my throat, I backed up slowly, holding my hands out to the side so that I wouldn't run into anything and trip. Were they purposely after me? Were they from the Bryant coterie? Did Jacobi send them? Was Darsana here? Was I going to be executed tonight?

"Wh-what do you want?" I asked, afraid of what the answer was.

Immediately, they began to advance towards me. Not wanting to stand still and end up minced meat, I turned and ran towards the bathroom. On the way, I threw anything I could grab behind me, and made it just into the bathroom before hands gripped my right arm. I screeched, tugging furiously but this was responded to with a sudden sharp smack across my face. It wasn't hard enough to do a lot of damage, but it was enough to stun me for a moment.

The larger of the man gripped me by the waist from behind, lifting me from the ground and dragging me out of the bathroom and back into the bedroom where the second man was waiting with a gag to put over my mouth.

"No! Please," I raised my hands to try to keep him from gagging me, but the first man grabbed them so that my protests were muted quickly. Tears began to wet my cheeks against my will and my heart pulsed through my body, causing a tremor to take over my limbs. Was this it? Was tonight the night I would be no more?

The men grabbed each of my upper arms and dragged me into the hallway between them. First, I tried to walk with them to alleviate any pain to my extremities, but the rough way in which they moved me with them caused me to stumble often. They never stopped to allow me to gain my footing, so often my bare feet scraped the ground and my arms felt like they were being tugged out of their sockets. I cried out in pain, but the cloth in my mouth made sure it was muffled.

They took me down the stairs, perhaps because it would be more difficult for me than any elevators. When we reached the first floor, I wondered if they were taking me to a different location altogether. I'd heard of mobsters executing their victims out in the middle of nowhere, just over their own shallow graves so that they'd fall into it. This was proven false when they went the opposite direction of the exit.

Instead, we were heading towards noise. The notes of music were in the air, along with chattering and clinking of glasses. It had to be the party. Darsana must be here. That would be the only reason I'd be dragged into the party when I'd been told I wasn't to go. Wouldn't it?

I was pulled through a side door into the ballroom, which absolutely packed full of the most gorgeous looking people possible. All were in formal dresses and suits, laughing merrily and talking among themselves. I couldn't recognize anyone, and most didn't look our way when we entered. The men holding me kept me to the side of the party, out of immediate sight, so that only the vampires on the edge would cast a glance towards us curiously. Either way, they must have seen gagged humans in distress often because none looked too concerned.

The ballroom was massive and dark, with the only light being the LED bright tea lights on the tabletops around dishes. The tables were designed with crystal bowls and glasses which were prepared with what had to be blood. Many vampires were dancing closer to the stage in the front, which had a small band of stringed instruments playing a slow waltz. I was being pulled towards the groups in the back which were packed together in groups discussing matters loudly in unison.

Finally, I was whisked to the very back of the ballroom, in a dark corner where a group of vampires looked up to meet me. I didn't recognize any but one. Corentine stood beside a massive man. By massive, I meant massive. Immediately, I could sense this man to be the leading vampire in this group. His eyes stared at me, black as coal, but not blackened by revealing his demonic face. They were his natural eyes. Black and empty. I felt cold all over when he looked at me, like his look alone would steal my life. I thought I would just collapse in fear if the men holding my arms let go.

"This is the Monet?" His dark voice crawled over my skin and into my blood like poison. I felt nausea wave over me from the fear it produced. There wasn't even a trace of rage on this man's face, but it still caused me to forget how to breathe.

"Yes. My Master has ordered the coterie not to harm her," Corentine snarled, crossing her arms and narrowing her eyes at me. At the moment, she seemed relatively pleased. The massive man moved forward, causing the men holding me to move away. When left to stand on my own, I was surprised to find that I could, though my legs trembled beneath me.

"She has to be the most pathetic Monet I've ever seen," The man's deep voice rumbled in disdain. When he moved closer to me, I tried to tell myself to back away, but all control of my limbs was gone. Fight or flight, my ass. My body chose to do neither.

Suddenly, his large rippling hand reached out and gripped me by my throat, firm enough to lift me onto my toes but not enough to completely cut off my airway. I meant to reach up and try to pry his hand from my throat, but his empty eyes held me petrified. He used his free hand to rip the gag from my mouth, causing me to release a dry whimper.

"This is the one my Xander claims his life to protect? Of this, you're sure?"

"I'm certain," Corentine confirmed behind him.

The man looked away from me to the ones in the group around him, "Go get my Xander, then." When he looked back at me, he smiled. Only it wasn't exactly a smile. A smile was joyful or pleased even. This was a snarl, like a promise of pain and death.

"We'll have a little fun with you until then," He said deeply, reaching with his free hand to move his thumb over my upper arm. I didn't see his claws extend. From the Biology of Vampyre, I knew not all vampires could extend their nails into claws. So I wasn't expecting the sudden sharp pain that pierced my skin and carved down to my elbow.

My mouth free from any gags, I inhaled sharply before screaming in pain.