4. Amazing ability, Double trouble

Start from the beginning

Finally, Amanda seemed to wake up. Her sad expression faded away, replaced by a nostalgic smile.

-"Yeah, I was a beginner back then, and I sucked bad at this kind of travels. And I couldn't get away the way I first arrived, because Sam was right next to me; I had to explain my abrupt arrival to her. And that's how I found myself explaining everything to her. Luckily, she turned out to be one of us. But if she was a normal person, my little stupidity would have put us all in danger. And from this day on, we started getting closer and became best friends", she completed.

I did then the unforgivable. I asked her how did she discover her identity.

She gave me one of those deathly glares and whispered with anger and bitterness: "All this is none of your business! You just can't help interfering in other's lives, can you?"

-"So, I guess you came here after the death of your parents?"

She took a deep breath and said: "No, Paul, I didn't. I wish it was that easy."

I frowned, confused, but told her that I'm sorry to hear this. 

-"Yeah, it's okay. I'm okay. I mean, I got used to it. Now let's get back to why I brought you here in the first place. So, as I told you yesterday, you are a time-traveler. You have the power to go back in time or to travel in the future. We'll soon take you to a room where you'll pass a test to see which one of these two options you belong to. But first, I have to explain to you some basics that may save your life."

-"The first thing you should learn, Paul, is that traveling in time is not-a-game. Each travel will take some of your vital energy, and so that's the main reason why being a time-traveler is so dangerous. You have to be very careful, and under no circumstances should you use your power for a cause that isn't part of our missions. Understood?", continued Mrs. Smith.

-"Yeah,  Sam, I get it, I might die."

-"Secondly, Mister, you should avoid appearing or disappearing in front of normal humans. You have to choose wisely your places of departures or arrivals. They must be isolated and not crowded. And in case you really need to start or land in an inhabited environment, wait for the nightfall."

Samantha opened one of the drawers of her desk and took out a file, then handed it to me. 

-"What's tha..,", I started.

-"These are the places we know about that are safe for you when you travel. Don't lose these papers. They are super important", she cut me off.

-"Yes sir", I said, jokingly.

-"And lastly, they'll always be some bad people who know about our existence, and they might make your mission harder or try to stop you from doing what you were meant to do. They can be everywhere, at any time, any era. Keep your eyes open everywhere you go because from now on, your life is going to be really dangerous", ended Amanda.

-"Now let's take you to the test room, where you'll find out whether you're able to go back in time or travel in the future" suggested Sam.

I followed the two women out of the office and through a dark and ancient hallway that was covered in dust and cobwebs. We then entered an apparently small cabine. But when my head popped out of the door, what I saw was completely different. What I had come in was actually a huge lab full of high-tech machines and sophisticated tools. They made me sit down on an ultra-modern device that turned out to be a chair. 

What happened next? I really don't know. I just saw hands moving around me and overflying my head. Some sort of cables were put on my forehead, and in a short matter of time, I found myself connected by a hundred cables to a computer. Amanda and Sam went then to the back lab and stood in front of a big screen that was scanning my DNA  to see what are my abilities in time-traveling. 

I didn't understand a single thing of what was happening. Sam and Amanda were staring at the screen and weren't taking their eyes off it. At first, everything went well. Or at least, seemed to go great. But then their facial expressions darkened, and worry and fear filled their eyes.

The two were now panicking and muttering under their breaths. As for me, I was completely lost. I couldn't even panic or sense anything. I only had this puzzled expression on my face.

 At last, a loud beep echoed in the lab, and Amanda took the sheet that had just come out of the printer. Yey, I said to myself. The results finally came in. 

But then I saw Amanda's face, which had become paler than a ghost.

-"This isn't good... this is not good at all", she whispered, before running away and throwing the result paper behind her.

I was too scared to move and try taking the document from the ground, so Sam leaned down and took it. Her hands started shaking, and she said: "No way... this can't be real..."

I then lost my patience, and shouted: "What is it? What's wrong? Why is everyone panicking? Am I not a time-traveler? If that's the case, I promise I won't hurt  you guys..."

-"No, Paul, declared Samantha in a serious tone, this isn't the problem. I wish it was. Paul, dear,  you can do both."

                                                                                   ***

Oof guys I finally updateddd!!!! Yeyy! I'm throwing a party on this occasion, who wants to join?

OK nahh i'm kidding. But you know this was a really long chapter and I really worked hard on it so yeah I hope you guys like and enjoy it as much as I did writing it!

What do you think will happen next? Why did the two ladies panic? Tell me all your ideas and suggestions, I'll be happy to read them all, even tho i don't think they might change anything ;)

Random question: What do you guys like to do in your free time?

Aaandd finallyyy, a HUGE thanks to @rijones432 , who convinced me to get back to writing and continue the stories i started. lyyy

And if you're still reading this story, i really want to say, thank you so much, this means the world to me, and i love you all soo soo muchhh.