Chapter Four

Chapter Four: In Love?!

My first conscious thought when I woke up was: Why am I on the ground? I opened my eyes to find three concerned faces looking down at me. "What happened?" I asked, my voice sounding hoarse. Please tell me it was a dream...

"You fainted when I told you about our parents," Kyla told me, fresh tears filling her eyes. So it wasn't a dream. 

"How long was I out?"

Eric looked at his watch. "About ten minutes. You scared me, Katra." He said and gathered me in his arms.

I hugged him. "I'm sorry I worried you guys. It's just a lot to take in, you know?" I started tearing up, but quickly wiped them away. I didn't want everyone to see me break down again. Though, Eric was going to have to get used to seeing me at my worst if we're going to be together. "I'm, um... going to go lie down now." I grabbed Eric's hand and walked down the hall to my room.

He sat on my bed and I was about to close my door when I heard Kendra.

"I'm going to go check on her." I went to sit next to Eric who put his arm around me. I put my head on his shoulder, waiting. Kendra walked in and knelt in front of me. "Are you okay Kat?" She asked, holding my hand, squeezing it gently. I looked her straight in the eye, a tear sliding down my cheek.

"I don't know, Kennie. Ask me tomorrow, when the shock from what we just found out has worn off some."

My sister knew not to push me; she tried once when we were kids and I exploded. "Okay." She said, squeezing my hand once more and left the room, shutting my door on her way out.

Eric rubbed my arm in a soothing motion and kissed the side of my headd. "So do you want me to stay?"

"Yeah, if you don't mind? I'd really appreciate it."

"Of course I don't mind. I'll stay for as long as you want. I'll have to get some clothes in the morning if I stay longer than tomorrow." He pulled me in closer. "You can come with me so you're not alone."

I smiled slightly at him. He's so sweet. "Thanks Eric." I kissed him softly before he lifted his arm. I laid down on my side and cried, the tears I wiped away coming back with a vengeance. He laid down next to me and put his arm around me, pulling me close so I could put my head on his chest. He held me close as I let out all the grief I was feeling. I eventually fell asleep in his arms and dreamt of my parents.

I was running down a long, dark tunnel towards the light at the end where I could see the silhouettes of my parents walking away from me.

"No! Please don't go!"

But no matter how fast I ran or how loud I yelled I couldn't catch up or get their attention.

"Mommy! Daddy! Please, don't leave me! I don't know what to do without you!"

I tripped and fell on my knees and cried as they continued to walk away.

"Please don't go," I whispered. "Stay here. I don't know what I'm going to do without you. Stay, I don't want you to go!"

Still they continued, disappearing into the light. No matter how hard I wished and prayed, they wouldn't turn around and come back.

Just as they were about to leave the tunnel, though, I heard my mothers' voice. "It's okay, sweetie. No matter how far away we are, you're father and I will always be with you. Don't ever forget that, baby."