{•Chapter Twenty-Six•}

Start from the beginning

"This is definitely no Frankenstein's monster," she muttered, shooting the insect sprouting from its back. From the corner of her eye, she spotted Leon rounding the corner.

"C'mon!" The blonde shouted towards Gwen as he ducked under the monster's appendages to reach her.

"Don't have to tell me twice!" She yelled back as they both scurried to reach the third compartment of the metal rig.

The agents just barely made it before the second rig fell. Morosely, the U-3 was quick to react and followed them to the final container. As they activated the first switch, it jumped down from the ceiling and blocked their way. The creature lunges forward, swiping its sharp mandibles at the agents. They sidestep the appendages and promptly run through one of the many metal storage containers located inside the suspended rig.

Dodging and weaving the monster's attacks, the couple located the last emergency switch. The sound of the door unlocking in the back caught their attention, distracting them from the creature currently stalking them. Without a word, Leon and Gwen rush to the door and open it. A crane hook dangled above the chasm. It was the only chance they had to escape before the rig would detach and fall.

Leon was the first to jump from the rig and grab the hook. It swung back and forth from the impact. He held out his hand for Gwen to grab and yelled at her. "Jump!"

Gwen trusted Leon with her life and knew he would catch her. As she was about to make the leap, the U-3 appeared behind her and lunged to grab her. It messed up her footing and caused her to fall. She cried out in pain from the harsh fall but quickly recovered. The moment she went to jump, the rig detached and fell into the abyss below.

Leon watched in pure horror as Gwen fell with eyes full of fear and shock. She couldn't even scream due to how petrified she became as she felt her body plummet into the dark abyss.

Leon stared into the darkness, unable to comprehend what he just witnessed. He couldn't form a coherent thought as his wide, azure eyes bore a hole into the tenebrosity. He hadn't realized how long he had been staring until he felt his grip was loosening. He swung to safety, but he immediately fell to his knees as he peered over the edge. He gritted his teeth in anger and slammed a fist against the hard ground.

Staring down into the chasm below, Leon caught sight of something crawling up the wall. Seeing the U-3 survived the fall, he hightailed it. The monster pulled its body over the edge and stormed after the blonde. The tremors created by its large body resulted in a rusted gate to unlatch and seal behind the creature, trapping Leon with no way to escape.

Leon whipped out his shotgun, aiming it and firing round after round into the monster's face. "C'mon, you bastard. You're gonna pay for what you've done," he snarled.

An all out battle began.

Leon switched from weapon to weapon as he discharged bullet after bullet into the creature's body. It lashed out, reaching to grab ahold of the agent. The blonde rolled out of the way and circled around the monster by using a tunnel nearby. He managed to trap it in the tunnel, but it proved to be futile as it broke through the bars with a growl.

"So much for that plan," Leon groaned as he backed away from the approaching monster. He held his handgun tightly as he veered to the left to avoid another attack. When the agent ran out of handgun ammo, he switched back to his shotgun.

As he was reloading, the U-3 closed in. Leon was prepared to feel an explosion of pain, but he only heard the sound of gunfire. The creature shrieked in pain before its body collapsed and vanished into thin air. The blonde turned around and saw the person who killed the monster. His jaw fell open in shock. "Gwen."