Chapter 23 - The Meeting

Start from the beginning

The smug smile was gone and he looked angry. Robert tried to keep his face impassive. He knew the bastard really wanted to know what he was going to say, but he didn't like the conditions. The seconds dragged by.

Finally Moreau said, "I give you my word of honor as a gentleman. I won't punish her for what you tell me," and he held out his hand. Robert tried to hide his relief while he squeezed the bastard's hand as hard as he could.

It was now or never, he thought. Time to make his case. He tried to appear confident.

"I know it won't be long before you let me go and I have a request. I want you to let me take Georgie with me when I leave."

Moreau didn't hide his surprise. Robert felt hopeful seeing his expression. He'd feared the bastard's first reaction would be anger and the meeting abruptly ended.

Before the bastard could interrupt him, he continued. "If you allowed me to take her, I give you my word I'll tell my family, the police and everyone else that I disappeared on purpose. I'll never tell anyone the truth about what really happened. Whatever consequences I have to face for lying about it, I'll take them."

"And if I don't let her go with you?" The bastard was catching on.

"Right now, I don't care what you've done to me. But if I leave here without her – I'll do everything I can to find her. I don't want to cause you trouble – but I might not be able to help it – since she's with you."

He'd tried to be careful how he worded it, but he saw anger flash in the bastard's eyes. He didn't like being threatened, and it made Robert nervous. The last thing he wanted was to make the bastard think he had to disappear with Georgie if he hadn't planned it already. He tried to read his expression but the bastard wasn't giving anything away.

"Why do you want her?" the bastard asked suddenly with suspicion.

Robert was apprehensive. He knew this was the most important question he had to answer.

"I've fallen in love with her." He'd decided honesty was the best way to go, hoping the bastard would get the idea that he'd go to the ends of the earth to find her if he believed he loved her.

Moreau gave him an appraising look. Robert thought this was news to him.

"And what about the girl? Does she share your feelings?"

At that moment, Robert realized the bastard had never once referred to Georgie by name in front of him. Had she ever heard her name spoken before he came to live with her? He swallowed against the tightening in his throat, and immediately pushed the thought out of his head.

He was uneasy answering the question. He knew this was what Georgie feared the bastard knowing the most.

"I believe she does. I think her feelings are strong enough, she'll try to kill herself when I leave." He hoped this sounded ambiguous enough the bastard wouldn't assume they were already in a relationship.

Judging by the expression on his face, he didn't seem to be concerned she might kill herself. The fucking bastard probably didn't care, Robert thought angrily while trying to keep his face emotionless.

"So why would you bother to look for her if you think she's going to kill herself?" he asked in an almost bored voice. It made Robert even more angry but he tried not to let on. He knew he was being provoked and he couldn't afford to lose control.

"Because I love her and I want her to be with me. I wouldn't rest until I found her," Robert replied firmly.

"What if I killed her before you found her? Surely, I would know you were close to reaching me long before you would," the bastard said nonchalantly. Robert felt like he couldn't breathe as his whole body went cold.