"Are you sick? Did you get hurt?" Ray asks.

"I fell from a tree..." You gulped. The truth was, you fell from the wall and landed on your left arm. "I think I bruised my shoulder..."

"You should be more careful next time, you're old enough to know not to be so reckless," Ray says.

"I know, Papa." Your voice dropped. You couldn't stand being near him.

"You remind me of my childhood friend," Ray stares at the wall in front of him. "She was hyper like you. Always climbing trees and running through the forest."

Turning your head, you wiped your tears and looked at Ray's back. His black hair matched the black button up he had.

"What happened to her?" You asked, trying to change the subject.

"About ten years ago," Ray shifts his gaze and looks down at you, "She was adopted into a foster family."

You stayed silent, staring into Ray's dull eyes. You felt so angry, knowing she was probably taken by those demons.

"Make sure you eat, [Y/N]." Ray stands up. "We want you to be fully healthy when you get adopted."

"Are my parents going to be nice to me, Papa?" You asked with a hard voice.

He barely shows any reaction, but his eye twitches slightly. "I'm sure they will be happy to see you."

Smiling, you felt empty. "Will you miss me?"

"Of course, everyone will." He makes his way towards the door.

"Hey, Papa..." You stared at his back with hatred.

Ray was silent.

"Can you bring me all my books?"

•••

A week has passed, your arm was healed from the bruises. Ray told you to be careful to not hurt yourself because your family wouldn't like an injured child.

The day ended and everyone was asleep, even Ray was nowhere to be seen. You laid on your bed, your eyes were wide open.

There was a soft tick and then a chime from the clock, midnight. You were officially twelve years old.

Getting up from your bed, you slipped your outdoor boots on. You fixed your button up and skirt. Quietly flipping the blanket onto your bed, you reached under.

You grabbed your new rope and a few of your bulky books, almost textbooks.

You folded your blanket and fixed your pillow, you made your bed. Slipping a small piece of paper under the pillow, you finally decided to leave.

Wrapping the rope around your shoulders, you filled your arms with your books.

Looking around, everyone was still asleep. You smiled sadly and closed your eyes, "Goodbye my brothers and my sisters..." Your voice was barely above a whisper.

Quietly, you made your way outside. You tiptoed past Ray's room and made sure to not step on any creaky floorboards. Opening the door slowly, you were greeted by bright stars.

It was nice and cool outside. You can hear the tree leaves rustle and soft cricket noises. The sky was a dark blue colour, setting the tone for this tragic night.

You closed the door and peeked around the corner. From behind a flower pot, you grabbed a small lantern and matches, you placed them there three days earlier when you planned everything.

"Goodbye house..." You sighed and rested your hands against the brick walls.

Placing the lantern on top of your books, you dashed into the forest. Once you were far enough from the house, you finally lit the lantern.