Chapter 2

heyyy. so first of all- sorry this chapter is so short...i tried my hardest to make it long but that didnt really work out...

so i know i said i would update in a week... idk how long its been, but i dont think its been a week. i decided i would upload just cause im stuck on both stories...... so i decided to make the few readers i have happy by uploading... sooo yah :)

ummmm... not much to say.... i dont have chapter 3 written so far, but i think i know what i want to happen. now i just gotta find time to work on it

alright. u can read now :)

_____________________________________________________________________________

I stare at the front door, fighting in my head. Should I take a chance and open it, hoping it doesn’t creak or that Ms. Cromwell doesn’t see me? Or should I go up the rickety fire escape with the dangers of it breaking and Ms. Cromwell being in my room? Either way, I would be in danger. So I decide to take the safest way and I slowly turned the knob.

                As it opens, it makes the biggest creaking noise and I close my eyes in fear of what would greet me.

                “Late! Again! Rose, you’re always late! Now you need a punishment that will make you learn!” An angry voice bellowed from the top of the stairs. I look up to see Ms. Cromwell standing there in her bath robe staring at me with hatred.

                “I’m so sorry Ms. Cromwell. A boy ran into me and spilled his drink on me and I got distracted and… I’m sorry…” My voice started fading as her intense gaze got closer to me until it was right up in my face. In a blink, her hand was up and coming down hard onto my cheek. I gasped in surprise but held back the tears that were threatening to come from the pain.

                “You are no longer allowed to step foot out of this building unless I say so. I expect better from you since you are the eldest out of all these kids. But I guess your troubled head is the reason you’re still here. Soon enough, I’ll have to kick you out and you will have to become a pathetic beggar. HA! I can imagine it now. You already got the clothes down.” She threw me an evil smirk as I ran up the stairs no longer able to hold in my tears.

                She’s right. I am pathetic. No one ever wanted to adopt me as a child. Why would anyone be interested in an old sixteen year old? All these other girls here are young and cute. No one would ever give me a second look. I thought miserably to myself as I cried into my pillow.

                Being the eldest meant I had more responsibility. But it also meant I got this room to myself. The other girls didn’t want to share a room with the scary big girl. But I’m not one to complain. I look having a room to myself. I actually get a little privacy.

                “Rose… Are you okay?” Rebecca, a five year old, says to me through the little opening in my door. I look up at her and manage to smile at her. She has perfect blue eyes and a personality that one would automatically adore. She was like my little sister, minus the annoying part. I always looked out for her and she always made sure I was okay. We were that close.

                “I’m fine, Becca. Come here.” She walks over to me and I pull her into a hug.

                “Rose… Can’t… Breathe…” I laugh and let her go and she gives me a cute little smile and says, “GUESS WHAT, ROSE?”

                “WHAT!?” I ask with equal enthusiasm.

                “MS. CROMWELL SAID THAT SOMEONE IS COMING TO LOOK AT ALL US GIRLS NEXT WEEK!!!” I frown at her. Ms. Cromwell usually tells me first who will be coming here with the intention of adopting one of us. But I guess everyone else beat me to it this time. I wonder who it would be… Maybe a couple that can’t have babies. Or maybe a single lady that is interesting in adopting a girl. Or maybe a rich family that is looking for another child to call theirs. Thinking of rich, my thoughts immediately go to Michael.

                “That’s great news, Becca.” I tell her lost in my own thoughts. She seems to notice my mind is wandering off and after giving me a small hug and kiss on the cheek, she walks back to her room, closing the door behind her.

                Thinking about Michael and the way he acted around me made me smile. It felt nice to smile like that after crying into my pillow. I suddenly remember my punishment and I think about mine and Michael’s “date”.

                I groan in frustration realizing that I would now need to think of a plan. I can’t miss the “date” with him because he would feel like I left him hanging. And Ms. Cromwell wouldn't hesitate in punishing me more severely. I didn’t want that.       

                Let’s see... Today is Wednesday. He invited me on Friday. At 6PM… Okay I can do this…

                I lie down on my bed lost in my thoughts trying to figure out a plan. After thinking too hard, I end up drifting off into a deep sleep.