Chapter 18: The Port of Karmillia

Start from the beginning

Xavier's tail wrapped around my arm loosely as he let out a soft purr while I pet him.

"Okay. Xavier wanted to tell you that he will return home soon. It will be too dangerous to meet the Mermaids with any male species. I also will not be able to accompany you past the water" Ricin explained. I nodded, it made sense. I didn't expect to take them with me either, though I'm not happy about giving Xavier back to his terrible master.

It made me worried if something will happen while I'm gone.

"Is that true Xavier?" I asked the leopard curiously. He gave a simply nod, before laying his head in my lap.

"I see... I will agree if you promise to use the green house or visit Vincent if you happen to stumble upon trouble. I don't know how long my training with the Mermaids will be" I said truthfully.

Xavier nodded his furry head, making me reach out to tap his nose. "And I'll beat your owner if they hurt you" I said firmly.
The leopard snorted but nodded its head.

That was how we separated.

The journey to Karmillia was not as bad as I expected! I met several kind merchants who offered me and my cat fairy companion a ride. The beautiful scenery of my Kingdom faded and I was now in a Fall Season Country, Karmillia.

Lots of red and yellow trees, a sunset picture painted over the more mid evil styled Kingdom compared to the modern and updated one I call home. Instead of beautiful jade and marble, they used brick and stone. They did not tower their buildings high but instead used more one to two level story homes. The Castle which I could see in the distance was also not as tall and grand, but held a more ancient beauty.

Karmillia has existed for centuries, and interestingly, my mother is a princess of Karmillia.

She never spoke much of home, which saddened me, but I was aware of how discontent my mother's side of the family was for her to marry into a Kingdom which accepted all races. The racism was terrible. Only humans could be seen as me and Ricin walked through the Capital that a kind old merchant allowed us to ride with him to. I was fascinated, the culture was severally more conservative, thankfully my cloak hid my exposed thighs. I was also smart enough to pack black tights to help cover any exposed skin. I wasn't smart enough to bring a dress besides a sleep one.

As we made our way closer to the port which existed on the edge of the main capital, I noticed the liveliness of the main Capital disappearing. Odd...

"Isn't it too quiet?" I asked Ricin.

"Yeah... seems like somethin bad is going on at the port" Ricin commented.

We made our way to the docs, which were opposite of the sandy ocean beach. I wanted to see the fisherman lifestyle! I also wanted to collect some puffer fish... which I am aware can be made into delicious food.

It seemed... deserted?

The houses seemed completely sealed up, and not a soul was in sight. Not even beggars.
The docs were empty, and no big fishing boat was present... only small life boats.

"What's going on...?" I wondered aloud...

"Psst... hey! Idiot" I jumped slightly at the noise and turned, shocked to see a small girl near my own age hiding behind a barrel. She was clean but her clothes looked worn, clearly a commoner.

I went by her side and crouched down curiously.

"What's going on here? Where is everyone?" I questioned, her deep brown eyes widened.

"You aren't from around here huh? Guess I'll tell ya. About a year ago, a man named Karen showed and took over the port! He slaughtered everyone who got in his way and the damn cowered King won't do a damn thing about it" She said venomously. I nodded...