The Breaking Of The Fellowship

Dawn crept into the room, filling it with golden light that caught in Richard's hair and turned it to a dark bronze.

Propped on one elbow, Eileen watched him sleep.

So peaceful. He looked so peaceful lying there, so content. She wondered if she ever looked like that, or if she always looked haunted, afraid. But no, that was behind her. She was not afraid, and last night... Last night had been... She didn't have words. She truly did not have words.

And the walls did not enclose her, not as they once had. They were a protection, they kept her safe, a reflection of the man beside her.

She brushed stray strands of hair out of his face.

He, in every way that mattered, had saved her. Saved her broken and fractured soul, rebuilt her shattered heart.

Richard opened his eyes, found her watching him, and gave her a sleepy smile. It hit her like a punch to the gut.

She'd try to repay him for everything he'd done for her. He deserved happiness, perhaps more than anyone.

"Hey," he breathed, his voice skittering down her spine.

He made her happy, she realised, and she... she would spend the rest of their time together trying to make him feel the same way.

"Hey," she smiled back.

She had thought she could never escape her past, what had happened to her. She'd been wrong. He had made her happy. She was happy.

***

"We need more food," Richard muttered, searching his fridge with a very Thorin look on his face. "There's nothing left."

Eileen smiled as he shut the door and turned to her.

"Would you mind if I went out to get some food?" he asked, doing those puppy eyes that made her completely abandon reason.

"In a minute," she said, approaching him.

She laid a hand on his chest, right atop his heart, and stared up into his face.

"I just wanted to say that last night..." She shook her head. "I'll never forget it. Thank you. I know I've said it already, but thank you for last night, thank you for everything. I... my life is... so different now, so much better. And it's because of you. I love you. I love you so much, and I never..."

Her phone started ringing, loudly, and she cursed at it, cursed even more when she saw that it was Lara. Again. Richard only watched, brushing a hand down her arm as if to say calm.

She answered the phone. Lara's voice was low, a slight catch in it when she spoke, as if she was holding back tears.

"I'm so sorry, Eileen," she said. "But are you free right now? I... I kind of need to talk to you."

"Seriously?" Eileen groaned, trying to keep the exasperation from her voice. "Now? I'm kind of in the middle of something."

"Look, no offence, but whatever it is probably isn't as bad as leaning over the sink sobbing because you're utterly alone."

Part of Eileen wished she could tell Lara that she had gone through something just as bad, if not worse, than that. But she kept her mouth shut and instead said,

"All right. I'll be over as soon as I can."

"Thank you." The relief in Lara's voice was almost palpable. "I wish there were more friends like you."

"Yeah," Eileen said, surprised to find her voice dripping with sarcasm. "So do I." But she managed to master herself before she said. "See you in a bit."