*Chapter 13: His

Chapter 13:

His

The allotted two days that Spectra and Lucile would be gone came and went quickly as Eva and Jasper tried to spend the time free from worry of the two adults. They would sit together minding the shop, helping customers and talking to one another. Jasper would mainly tell Eva about their exploits together when they were kids. She enjoyed hearing about their time together, though she didn't remember it too well but every now and then she'd have a flash of recognition, a short burst of memory emerge when Jasper told her about one of their days by the creek. It was exciting and Jasper would ways spin her around when she'd look at him with wide eyes and screech "I remember that".

When the third day Spectra and Lucile had been gone approached the happiness the two had been living slowly gave way to worry. Eva knew her Gran was not one to be late nor did she ever go back on her word. The fact they had not returned three days after leaving had both the young adults worry. That worry only grew when the fourth day came and still they had heard nothing from Spectra or Lucile. Jasper tried not to show how worried he was over their absence and continuously reassured Eva they were fine.

"They're probably following a lead about Bertrand's plans or something," he tried to reassure her. "I'm sure they're safe firefly, don't worry." Eva smiled and nodded, accepting his logic. He smile and gave her a quick hug. "I have to grab some things from the grocery story. I'll be right back." She nodded again and bade him goodbye before he left her alone to her worry.

"Man I thought he'd never leave," Eva turned to the Irish tinted voice, grabbing her mother's knife from the holster on leg and poising it at the ready. Standing before her was the vampire that came after her and Jasper in her apartment back in New York. "Woah Sweetling easy I come in peace!" he said with his hands raised in front of him.

"You're the vampire from my apartment," Eva stated with a warry gaze. "How did you find me and what are you doing here?"

"I'm a little hurt you don't remember my name sweets," he said with a mock pout. "The name's Will Conners. You should feel honored I don't usually share my name with humans."

"To what do I owe the pleasure Mr. Connors?" Eva asked again eyeing him carefully as he took a seat at the kitchen table.

"From what I recall you want Bertrand dead in the permanent sort of way," Will said with a smirk. "And considering I happen to want the same thing and you saved me from your boy friend before I'm more than willing to give you a hand with it."

"Why should I trust you?" Eva asked lowering her dagger. "I'm guessing Bertrand's your sire, why would you want him dead and why would you risk your neck to help me, a human, when the odds of me failing are pretty high."

Will nodded taking in her questions with a thoughtful look on his freckled face. "Those are some good questions lass," he said after a moment. "To answer the first is simple; I hate havin' a sire. I hate having to be at that bastard's beck and call at all hours as if I'm sort of hound. To answer your second question I owe you one since you saved my neck and despite what you know of us vamps we tend to honor our debts." He got up from the table and moved to the fridge pulling out a can of soda earning an exasperated look from Eva who denied his offer to grab her one. "Another reason I'm helping you is because I know you can get the job done."

"How do you figure that?" Eva asked reluctantly taking a seat at the table across from Will.

"Because you got something over the old bat than anyone else?" Will said as he took a swig from the can. When Eva shrugged her shoulders not knowing what Will was getting at he sighed and continued. "His affection sweetling, keep up now! The old man's head over heels for ya! Do you really think he's dead set on coming after you just because he can? He's gone about half mad lookin' for you this whole time I ain't seen nothing like it!"