Chapter 1 - Adelaide

It was the perfect day to sleep in, dark and heavy gray clouds filled the sky and released a torrent of raindrops that hit my roof and window with blissful, joyous thuds.

As I stare out the window and watch the raindrops hit the glass and drizzle down, I smile and drift off into my thoughts.

Just before I drift back into a deep sleep, my alarm blares out at me, a different tone and clarity from my old alarms. I smile a bit and pick up my phone off the bedside table and hold my beautiful new phone up in my face only to drop it on my face and wake up with a start, shaking awake so hard, the coffee mug in my hand lost its delicious liquid.

"Adelaide?" Adrien Gallagher asked from beside me. "You alright?"

I turn to look at him and nod sleepily before noticing his once white lab coat was now stained with the splotches of my coffee.

"I'm really sorry. Please let me pay for the laundromats," I apologized, head down with embarrassment.

Adrien only laughed and patted my shoulder. "Don't sweat about it. After spending all these years as your bestie, I'm used to it by now. Besides, I needed the chance to finally use my new lab coat."

I give a sigh of relief and smile at his kindness. "Thanks, Adrien."

"No problem. Hey, can you feed Daisy tonight? I'm going on a date with Sweeney tonight."

I freeze, and try to play off my surprise with a nonchalant smile. "You mean your Diabetes?" I say, making a play of his nickname for his beloved.

"Ah, yes. My diabetes. Love that."

We both laugh and I rise from the table. "I've got a surgery to do in a few. I'll take care of Daisy, don't worry about her. She loves me more anyways."

"Shut up," Adrien scowled, grinning as I walked away.

"Hey, Adela," he called out, using one of his pet names for me.

"Yes, Tumor?" I call back, turning back around for him, something I swore I would never do.

"Thanks. We really appreciate your help," he smiled, the purity of his emotions pushing any malcontent of mine into oblivion.

I shrugged, brushing off any of my old emotions and his thanks away. "Enjoy your date. You owe me a biscuit."

"You're a trauma surgeon. You know how bad those are for you!"

With this, I turn to him and say, "Two words: you, cigarettes," and return to my surgery.

"Damn you, Perry the Platapus!"

I laugh off his lame comeback and return to focusing on my future task at hand.

.○oOo○.

"Once again, Doc, I can't thank y' more th'n I 'ready 'ave." Louis said, holding his now patched-up hand with a wide, gracious smile.

I raise a hand to silence him. "I already told you, Louis, the best way to thank me is not to supply my wallet, but to quit that gang of yours and change your life for the better. It's been three years by now."

"Y'see, I can't." Louis sighed. "Not like I'm stuck there or nothin', I just serve th' young master. I like serv'n 'im." He smiled.

I sighed at this. He would have been much better off if he had only dedicated his devotion to a better cause than a gang that pilfered and murdered, but noting our beloved city of Braltlynn and its infamous penchant for crime, there was no shock that a majority of my patients were somehow related to a gang, most of all the biggest crime syndicate of the country: the Black Crows. Rumor has it, their name came from the master's cynicism towards many aspects of life and that he chose the name because the world is full of crows, humans, that all fight for food and only some may survive while the rest die off.  In this aspect, I respect the master and his ideas however violent his actions are in order to achieve them.

"You better let that hand of yours rest at least three weeks before you pick up anything." I said, patting Louis' shoulder.

"Thanks, doc," he smiled before leaving my office.

Three years since that tragic car wreck he had and he's still serving the 'young master'. I've grown to be so fond of him, I even pulled him into my office to try to get him to live a better life. I sighed once more and rub my temples. Every time a car wreck happens, a heart only changes for the worse.

I glanced up at the clock and give a little smile of relief. My shift was over and I was free to leave. Eagerly awaiting my visit to see Daisy, I quickly packed my things and swiftly left the building after a few short goodbyes. I couldn't wait to see my beautiful and fluffy white princess.

What an angel. I thought happily.

As I crossed the street, following the path of the crosswalk, I bump into a rock-hard chest and nearly fall back from the impact.

"Ah," a smooth voice murmured from above me.

I looked up to see a familiar face hovering above mine.

"Are you alright?" I exclaimed, simultaneously examining him for any further damage, pulling him to the side of the road to do so. "Did I reopen any wounds?"

"Ah, no. I'm fine, thank you." He said, averting my gaze.

I lightly pushed his chin so he would face me again and looked into his eyes to see if he was lying and if he was in pain, but the only emotions that his beautiful shock and a little bit of something else I couldn't identify and deftly let him go.

"Well, it's great seeing you up and walking," I smile, gently patting his shoulder. "I hope your wounds quickly heal. Remember, if you need any check-ups or anything, my office is just across the street."

He nodded back, looking behind me and quickly jerking his head to the side. I turned to look behind me but saw nothing but cars passing by and an empty sidewalk.

"You're twitching. Are you sure you're alright? Do you want me to check for any nerve damage?" I asked, once more pursuing my attempt to survey him for any other damage.

"I'm fine, thank you."

I give him a look before stepping away and resuming my walk across the crosswalk along with the small crowd. "Well, if that's what you say. I'm always available in my office. Just give me a call if you need anything."

Just before I reached the other side of the street, a warm hand gently grasped mine. Shocked, I turned around to see his dark, brooding eyes staring into mine, and a shudder ran down my spine.

Stuttering, he managed to clamor out, "Would you like to get a cup of coffee if you have the time? I still haven't thanked you."

Looking past the shadows on his face, I see the color that rose to his face and smiled, realizing he wasn't the scary man he appeared to be. A cup of coffee with him didn't sound so bad. After all, even the lowest of scum in this city would be kind and practically bow down to anyone who has saved their life. Besides, I needed to stop throwing myself down for Adrien anyways.

"I would love to."