chapter 2

"Crimble crumble!" Announced Jackie entering the sitting room with a tray of homemade apple crumble.

"This looks delicious Jackie!" Exclaimed Iris, sitting up and rubbing her palms along her trousers.

Everyone sat in silence enjoying the warm pudding until Martin began to talk about Albert Einstein.

"Oh! Jonny!" Called Jackie from the kitchen, "Nip to the shops will you and grab some milk please?"

"Ugh!" Sighed Jonny getting up.

Adam followed Jonny out into the kitchen, desperate to escape the nattering of Auntie Val.

"Hey Pissface, I'm coming."

"Lovely." Said Jonny smacking Adam.

"Ow!"

The two left the house hitting each other left right and centre and practically chased each other to the shop. 

Sitting back at home was Iris, wishing they had asked her too as Martin was bombarding her with facts about Physics.

"While Einstein remained adamant that the universe could be explained in its entirety, he was also a man of sentiment who sometimes favoured humanist explanations over scientific. He once said- No, this trick won't work... How on earth are you ever going to explain in terms of chemistry and physics so important a biological phenomenon as first love?"

-

"So, what do you think of Iris?" Asked Adam curiously.

"Uh, not gonna lie, slightly weird. Like, we haven't seen her in years and now she's... all grown up." Said Jonny, picking up a carton of milk.

"Ya, I guess. I don't really remember her too much but I think she's really nice." Said Adam.

"And pretty." Said Jonny quietly under his breath.

"What!?!"

Clearly not quiet enough.

Jonny quickly walked ahead Adam. He had dug himself a big hole here.

"Jonny Goodman, what was that you just said?" Yelled Adam, clearly unbothered by the fact that they were in the middle of a supermarket.

"Nothing!" Snapped Jonny walking up to the counter to pay for the milk.

Adam chased Jonny out of the shop, attempting to grab ahold of the scrawny twentysomething.

"Pissface likes Iris! Pissface likes-"

Milk. Everywhere.

Adam had pulled the carton out of Jonny's hand and split it all over himself.

"Aha!" Screamed Jonny who ran away from Adam as fast as possible to get home and leave him abandoned.

"Jonny?" Called Jackie in confusion as to why he was back so early- and without his brother.

"Hello mother dearest."

"Where's the milk? And more importantly- your brother?"

"Ugh..." began Jonny, eyeing Iris whos head was peaking out of the living room, "He's a bit busy at the moment, also, I may have forgotten the milk?"

"Jonny! You are really starting to annoy me- back out you go!" Yelled Jackie pushing Jonny out of the house.

"I'll come!" Said Iris rushing out of the house and following him out the door.

"Keep an eye on him love, he's acting very strange this evening." Said Jackie sternly, pointing at Jonny who struggled to contain his laughs.

"What happened...?" Asked Iris smiling up at Jonny as the two walked out of the drive.

"All you need to know is that Adam is currently in the middle of Sainsbury's with milk spilt down his front."

"And you left him there???" Said Iris, mid laughing.

"That's what brothers are for." Smiled Jonny, throwing his hands up in the air, "And that's also why we will go to Waitrose, I don't fancy running into a stenchy milk-covered puss face at this time of the night."

Iris couldn't contain her giggles around Jonny, at this point the pain in her stomach was numb.

"You, Jonny Goodman, are a very funny individual, I must say."

"I am?" Asked Jonny, acting as if he had no clue which made Iris laugh harder.

"You, Iris Oberman... are very pretty."

Iris was most definitely taken aback by this. Suddenly her laughter turned silence and everything seemed in slow motion. She stood still, he stood tall above her. Taking her small hands in his he asked, "Would you mind if I kissed you?"

"No, not at all.."

Her breath hitched with his hand placed on her waist. She needed to reach up on her tippy toes to return the kiss which was magical. The street was dark and lull, the only light source was the streetlights dotted along the path which reflected the energy of the kiss- quiet and peaceful.

Breaking away, Iris held onto Jonny's broad shoulders, resting her head there and enjoying the stillness of the moment.

The pair returned to the Goodman household, hand in hand- quickly broken apart by Jackie opening the front door.

"Milk?"

"Didn't have any, sorry mum."