•CHAPTER 1•

Chino Hills High School                          12:30 pm
                       May 1, 2019

"Melo!"
My girlfriend Ashley continued to yell trying to regain my attention.

I was deep in my thoughts about my situation .It wasn't always like this you know.. I used to see Nani as a little sister. I've always tried to protect her and I've always looked out for her but I never expected to feel anything like this for her. I can't help but notice how beautiful she is. I've always known she was pretty but it's like now that I feel this way about her she just walks around glowing with every detail noticeable. I wanted to tell her how I felt but I know she only see's me as her best friend. Plus I have a girlfriend. Ashley is cool and all but I don't see her in my future. She is too demanding for me every second of every day she wants to be with me and sometimes I just need my space. She hates it when I play video games with my friends and she just complains too much. Aonani is the complete opposite I can picture her in my future. She isn't demanding at all she just wants to hang out anywhere and do anything. She's not always in my face because she has other friends. Nani doesn't mind when I play video games sometimes she asks to join. She's actually pretty good at them too but not better than me because I am the best. She was just so sweet and laid back. Nani always brought happiness wherever she travelled. She was the light in any room no doubt. A true meaning to her name. Aonani- Beautiful Light. I finally snapped back into reality with Ashley.

"Sorry babe I barely got any sleep last night. I'm just so tired" I lied putting my hand on her thigh.

I know Ashley and this would only make the lie go through one ear and out the other. She craved attention and she loved it when I touched her. She just nodded putting her hand on top of mine continuing her lunch. After about forty-five more minutes it was time for Chemistry class. Luckily Ashley had Gym which was all the way on the other side of the school so I had time to walk alone... well, I thought I would be walking alone until I saw Nani and Nicole heading in the same direction as me. I quickly sped up making small conversation with the two before walking into class. Mr.Phillips decided to switch lab partners today and he placed me and Nani together. This had it's benefits because she was really smart and I got to talk to her all hour because we got assigned a paper. The school day went by faster than expected. I walked to Ashley's locker so we could go home. She wanted me to hold her hand but it made me feel weird. I don't feel the same connection we used to have. I love Ashley, at least I think I love her. I don't know what has been happening lately. We made it to my car and I drove her home. I walked into my house and saw Alan and my dad talking about the release of lady baller wear. I ran upstairs and laid on my bed staring at the ceiling litening to She's Mine Part 1 by J. Cole and the lyrics were really speaking to me about Nani.
(The underlined parts are the lyrics he relates to)

I never felt so alive, I never felt so alive
I never felt so alive (I never felt so alive)
Catch me, don't you
Catch me, don't you catch me
I've fallen in love for the first time
I wanna cry and I ain't even tryna fight it
Don't wanna die (I don't wanna die no more)
'Cause now you're here
And I just wanna be right by your side
On any night that you be crying baby
I'll dry your eyes, I'll dry your eyes
Every time you go to sleep you look like you in Heaven
Plus the head game is stronger than a few Excedrin
You shine just like the patent leather on my new 11's
You read me like a book like I'm the Bible, you the Reverend
And, I wanna tell the truth to you
I wanna talk about my days as a youth to you
Exposing you to all my demons and the reasons I'm this way
I would like to paint a picture, but it'll take more than a day
It would take more than some years to get all over all my fears
Preventing me from letting you see all of me perfectly clear
The same wall that's stopping me
From letting go and shedding tears
From the lack of having father, and the passing of my peers
While I'm too scared to expose myself
It turns out, you know me better than I know myself
Better than I know myself, well how about that?
She gets him, you get me
She hugs him, you kiss me
You tell me, you miss me
And I believe you, I believe you
She gets him, you get me
She hugs him, you kiss me
You tell me, you miss me
And I believe you, I believe you
Catch me, don't you
Catch me, don't you catch me
I've fallen in love for the first time