{•Chapter Twenty-Four•}

Start from the beginning

Leon was about to hop out of the flatbed, but Gwen stopped him by latching onto the side of his shirt. His head snapped towards her, wondering what she was trying to convey. She nodded towards a nearby ladder and unclasped her hand from his black shirt. "I'll handle it. Just cover me."

"Will do." Leon prepped his handgun and remained in the flatbed while Gwen leapt out. She climbed up one of the ladders to the upper platform to reach the operating lever. Several ganados pursued the woman as she reached the top. Leon shot the enemies scaling the ladder to keep them away from the archivist.

After pulling the lever to activate the lift, Gwen turned to leave but stopped in her tracks when three cultists were blocking her way. She turned to head the opposite way, but there were more ganados.

Leon looked up and saw Gwen was surrounded. He realized how close they were to her and couldn't find a clean shot to kill any of the men. She backed away from the approaching men until she spotted one way to regroup with him and Ashley.

Without hesitating, Gwen dashed to the railing and hoisted her body over the bar of metal. She landed in the seat next to Ashley, startling the girl in the process. The midnight-haired woman apologized for frightening her as she sat down. "Sorry, but it was the only way down."

Ashley looked up to see the horde of ganados peering down at them with a few heading towards the ladders. "This elevator needs to move faster!" It seemed the lift had heard the girl's shout and finally moved, resulting in the cultists climbing down the ladders to be crushed.

Once the lift came to a stop, Ashley slammed her foot against the gas pedal and took off. Gwen lurched back in the seat from the sudden force and latched onto the leather to keep herself from falling off the construction vehicle. From the flatbed, she heard Leon's gun discharging.

Glancing back, Gwen saw the overwhelming amount of ganados pursuing them. "More uninvited guests." She gazed at Ashley and placed a hand on her shoulder. "Keep up the amazing driving." Then, the archivist joined Leon in the flatbed and aided him in killing the persistent men.

"Shit," Leon hissed as he ran out of shotgun shells. "How many of these bastards are there?"

"Don't know," Gwen sighed, knocking a man off the vehicle with a single shot to the shoulder. "It's like moths to a flame, and we're the flame."

Leon went to respond, but his thoughts were drowned out by honking. He grimaced when another truck came into sight and planned to hit them head-on. "Great. More trouble."

"Is that... armor?" Gwen's eyes narrowed at seeing the melded-together plates of metal covering the truck's exterior. The driver honked the horn again and the woman promptly shot at the engine. One of her bullets pierced through the metal plating, setting the engine aflame.

The truck's engine exploded, but the vehicle kept on its path as it barreled down the hill towards them. It rammed into the front, causing Ashley to lose control and the construction vehicle to veer sharply to the left. The three were thrown from the vehicle as it tipped over after crashing into a building.

Gwen groaned in pain as she landed next to Leon. Ashley pushes herself off the ground, placing a hand against her temple. "Ugh, my head..."

Leon recovered from the fall and brushed the dirt from his clothes as he stood up. "Talk about making an entrance."

"I'll say," Gwen huffed as she slowly got to her feet. She coughed when she accidentally inhaled a small cloud of dust.

"You two alright?" Leon asked as he glanced between the two girls.

"A little beaten up from the fall, but we're fine," Gwen responded.

"Yeah. I'm going to find bruises all over me tomorrow," Ashley added.