Part 74 - The Morning After

Start from the beginning

"It's so very complicated," I said with a sigh. "And it still doesn't seem real."

"Soon enough it will," Harry said. "For now...let's call your father and make plans for dinner."

So I called my dad at work. I'd let him know the night before that I was spending the night with a friend, but gave no other details.

"What's up?" my dad asked, his voice brusque as he picked up the phone.

"Do you have any plans for tonight? You and Jessica?" I asked.

"Not that I know of. Why?"

"There's somebody I want you to meet, and he wants to take you out to dinner. Discreetly, if you know what I mean."

My dad snorted. "I have no idea what you mean. Out with it, Sam. What's going on?"

"I have a visitor from England. He would like to meet you."

There was a ruffling of papers on my dad's end, and I knew he was not fully tuned in to the conversation. "Who?"

"Dad!" I stretched the word out over several syllables. "Who do you think?"

"I'm not in the mood for guessing games."

"Neither am I," I said, ready to slam the phone down in frustration. "He's someone important, okay? To me...and the world." When that still got no response, I simply rattled off the address of the restaurant. "Just meet us there at 8 pm, okay? And Dad—dress up a bit. Please."

Harry and I arrived at the restaurant and were escorted to a private dining room upstairs. It was small, but there was a glorious view of the city lights reflecting off the water. It wasn't long before my father came in alone.

I jumped up and gave him a hug, glad to see that he had at least put on a suit jacket over his khakis. "Where's Jessica?" I asked.

"She had a class," my father said. For a moment I was angry that my stepmom thought a yoga class was more important than meeting a prince, but I quickly shrugged it off. She'd be kicking herself later no doubt at missing the opportunity and besides, I wasn't sure I trusted her to keep this all a secret.

"There's someone I'd like you to meet," I said, taking my dad's arm and turning to where Harry stood beside the table. I was sketchy on the protocol, but I was pretty sure that the person of higher rank should be introduced first. "Harry, I'd like to introduce you to my father, Glenn Walden. Dad, this is Prince Harry. Of Wales," I added, maybe unnecessarily, since there probably weren't that many Prince Harrys out there in the world.

My dad froze, his hand tightening on my arm, and I could tell he was surprised. It was almost funny, in a way...who else did he think I wanted him to meet?

Harry stepped forward and shook my dad's hand. "Mr. Walden. So pleased to meet you. Samantha speaks highly of you."

My dad shot me a suspicious glance, but at least he was recovering from the shock. "Call me Glenn, please, ah...Your Highness?"

Harry laughed. "Only if you call me Harry." He gestured to the table. "Shall we have a seat? I've taken the liberty of ordering us some wine—tell me what you think."

A few glasses of wine later the food arrived and my dad loosened up a bit, talking current events and politics with Harry. I sat back and let them get acquainted, smiling to myself at the way Harry was able to put my dad at ease and make him forget that he was talking to a prince.

Not just a prince...my husband.

Not that I could tell my dad that...not yet, anyway.

The food was amazing and went down well with several more glasses of wine. I was just beginning to relax and think that something chocolatey would be really nice for dessert when my dad put his glass down and said, "So, Harry—what are your plans for my daughter? Aren't you engaged to some actress?"