I stopped in my tracks, my breathing seeming to shut down.

You're probably dreaming.

I looked over my shoulder at Alexis and she smiled, making me drop the tray I had in my hands.

I just covered my mouth with my hand and she held her hand out.

I silently sobbed and cleared my throat, sniffling.

I walked over to her slowly, regaining my breath.

She reached up and placed her hand on my cheek, rubbing it gently. "Hi."

I just fell to my knees, pressing kisses wherever I could reach. Her thighs, her arms, anywhere I could touch.

"Fred," she whispered, her hand in my hair.

I just held her hand against my mouth, squeezing my eyes shut.

I looked up at her and she smiled, pulling my lips up to hers for a kiss.

I rested my forehead against her arm, shaking my head. "I've never been so worried."

She raked her fingers through my hair. "I'm awake now."

I just stood up and grasped her chin, pulling her lips up to mine. I sat down and pulled her closer, making her rest her hand on my thigh.

"If I could take a two day nap and still get your kisses, I'd be fine," she muttered, making me wrap my arms around her neck.

I closed my eyes and rested my chin on top of her head. I basked in that for a moment before pulling away.

I pulled her gown up and she raised her eyebrows. "F-Fred, what a-"

I studied her midsection and thighs for marks, any sign of anything. I turned her around and examined her back, trailing my fingertips down it.

I raised her sleeves and made sure her arms weren't bruised.

My heart seemed to shatter when I found bruises on both of her arms. She looked down at them and back up at me. "Fred-"

I stood up, leaning my head back with a sigh. I closed my eyes and regained myself, clearing my throat. "I can't believe I let that happen."

"Fred, that was not your fault," she adamantly stated, "don't you dare think it was."

"I could've been with you," I said, covering my mouth as my voice broke.

"Baby," she whispered, shaking her head, "the reason you weren't is because I wouldn't let you be. Okay?"

I just sat down on the bed and she wrapped her arms around me, holding me close. "It's no one's fault but his. I promise."

I just looked down at her, stroking her blonde locks with my fingers.

"Do you remember anything?" I asked, gently grabbing her face. She shook her head up at me.

"It'll come back, though," she said, "and when things do start coming back, I'll tell you everything."

I was so scared of the fact that something worse could've happened, considering what Wyatt had said at the warehouse. I knew his motives, and knowing that I knew, that scared me more than anything.

"Please tell me everything," I said, kissing the top of her head, "when it comes back."

"I promise I will."

~*~

Alexis

Fred stood up and I continued to poke around at my mashed potatoes. "I don't think they're supposed to be this dry."

He chuckled, and my eyes centered in on his hand resting on his lower back. He looked stiff.

"You're stiff," I said, taking a bite of my potatoes.

"Yeah," he said, his eyebrows raised.

"Did you sleep here?" I asked, my eyebrows in a furrow.

He nodded, turning off the bathroom light.

"Why didn't you sleep in an actual bed, Fred," I quietly asked, shaking my head.

"I wanted to be here with you," he said, sitting down on the couch, "and I will continue to be here with you."

I just looked over at him. "Well, I'm fine."

"You're not fine," he responded, rubbing his eyes as he shook his head.

"I'm alive and well-"

The look on his face cut me off on its own, no words needed.

"I'm staying," he quietly, but adamantly stated.

I just nodded and tucked my hair behind my ear.

"That's long term, too," he said, lying down on the couch.

I looked over at him. "What's that mean?"

"I can't go to Chicago," he muttered, his forearm resting on his forehead.

My eyebrows instinctively went into a furrow. "Excuse me?"

"If that happened while I was here-"

"Take that back," I said, "right now."

He just looked at me from over the side of the couch.

"Fred, I swear to God, if you let this change your decision about Chicago, I'll never speak to you again," I whispered, shaking my head.

"That's absurd."

"What's absurd is you putting off your life!" I said, "Fred, that's your future!"

"So are you!" He quickly came to his defense, sitting upright.

I just looked at him, blinking back tears. "Fred, I plan on being available."

"Does that matter?" He asked, "look at you, Alexis. You're in a hospital bed. I'm here. What happens when I'm not here?"

"You being here and not being here-"

"It matters," he said, nodding, "Alexis, it's been my job since I was sixteen to protect you."

"Well, you've done a good job," I said.

He just looked at me. "No, I really haven't. That's hard for me to agree with while you're laid up in a hospital bed."

"Baby, this is not your fault," I said, leaning forward, "none of this is your fault. He was a crazed stalker, okay? You couldn't control that, even if you wanted to."

He shook his head and his head fell in his hands.

"Please," I said, grabbing his hand, "you've got to listen to me."

He just looked at me and I nodded. "I'm okay. I'm alive."

He stood up and wrapped his arms around my neck, making me cuddle up close to him. I felt a sense of warmth and protection when Fred hugged me, and that particular sense of warmth and protection was much needed currently.

~*~

hi!!! double update whaaaaaaa

i hope you enjoyed <3

this chapter got me a bit emotional. i won't even lie

also yes jo and Lena are going to have their moment in the next chapter, dw 👀 these chapters have just been a little fixated on Alexis for very obvious reasons

well. ily guys and I hope you have a wonderful rest of your day 💕