"It'll take a while to get familiar with the cards, and it's harder to read yourself than others because sometimes you want a certain answer and you'll subconsciously search for it. You can practice on Koda, can't he?" Connor looked up and towards the door.

Koda raised his brows. He barely made a sound. "Um, sure," he said and moved to the couch, staring harder at his father when he smiled at him.

"Remember to bless the cards before you use them to remove any negative energy," Conner said, searching for the sage on the table. "You can use this or incense."

Morlen was nodding along to his words. Koda was used to his dad making fun of those who didn't fit into his mould of perfection. Koda realised that Morlen had a reputation to withhold and his 'bully' side was an act to seem like he didn't care. Morlen did care, and Koda wondered if he had always cared about him.

"Dad, can you give me a lift back to Alfie's after dinner?" Koda asked, and Morlen said yes straight away. Usually, Koda wouldn't even ask because his father would yell at him. Now, it was like Koda was looking at a different person; a familiar stranger.

* * * * *

Alfie had a client at 4 pm. He hurried home after college, so he could be done in time for when Koda arrived. Alfie was excited to have a client. He was eager to get rid of the long line of ghosts who kept visiting him in his dreams because they were growing impatient.

Alfie stressed that they had all the time in the world to cross over, but he didn't know what it was like to wander in the spirit realm without the option of returning to the life they knew.

Fifteen minutes before the clock struck 4, Alfie made his office ready for a new client. He made sure there was tea for them, tissues, paper for himself to write down information about their loved ones, and the essential light of a candle. Alfie had to be calm and in touch with the energies to summon a ghost. Most ghosts followed their loved ones around, so it was easy for him to summon the correct one without giving himself a nosebleed.

Alfie sat on his chair and stared peacefully into the dark wood of his table. He spun the rings around on his fingers and waited. When 4 pm arrived, Alfie propped his office door open so that he could listen out for the doorbell. When the time moved past 4:15 pm, Alfie started picking at his black nail polish. When it was 4:30 pm, Alfie checked his schedule to make sure he had gotten the right time. Someone was booked in at 4, but there was no name written in the book.

Alfie checked his emails for any cancellations. He had none.

When 5 pm went by, Alfie gave up waiting because Koda would arrive soon. As he blew out his candles and walked down the corridor to his mother's studio, the doorbell rung loud and clear. Alfie grumbled to himself and hurried back the way he came, ready to show his annoyance if it was the client.

Alfie yanked his door open with a frown, and his heart froze in his chest. Dorinto's wife stood on his doorstep, staring at him with her sharp icicles for eyes.

"I'm here to talk to my husband," she said and entered without Alfie giving her permission.

"Wait," Alfie spluttered as she marched towards his office. "You can't."

"Why not? I know I'm late, but you can't be that busy," she said with a frown.

"You're an hour late," Alfie said with a heavy sigh. "And you can't talk to your husband. I crossed him over yesterday. I'm sorry; he was ready." Alfie's voice was gentle, despite him hating the woman. The look on her face was like her fist was clenched around his heart. "I'm sorry," he said again when she slowly walked towards him.