June | III (Continued)

You sniffed.

"Can I... at least explain my thought process?" Tom asked.

You didn't respond.

He sat up straight, as if determined to defend his waning honor. "Being a celebrity is... hell." He shook his head. "Listen, I love what I do; I really do, but I'm not a normal person anymore. And the only people who still take me seriously as Thomas are all back at home and getting older and finding their own paths."

He turned his body to face you. "Now, I know what I did was stupid and reckless, but I also found the greatest thing in my life. I was able to find the sunshine to my rainy days, the flower to my desert field." Tom looked up at you. "And I am so sorry I lied to you... but there was no other way I could, in good conscience, love you without bounds if I didn't have proof you loved me for me."

You swallowed. Tears had surfaced again behind your eyes.

More thunder boomed above, deafeningly loud, and rain began to fall around you.

Tom inched his stump closer inward so he wasn't caught in the rain.

"I love you ___, and I know you once loved me. My name to you was Peter, and I sounded like this," He broke into an American accent for a second, "But I'm still the same person on the inside."

Lightning crashed around you and the roar of the rain and clap of thunder made your ears cry from the assault. But you held your posture as silent tears slid down your cheeks.

"I can't change what I did, but I am truly sorry for my dishonesty. And I know to never pull anything like that ever again."

You sniffed.

Tom looked at you, droplets of rain water hanging in his brown curls.

You swallowed and sighed, shaking from the cold. "Tom I can't... You know me, I hate the fame, just like you do. How do you expect me to ever adjust to your life even if I get past the lie?"

Tom scratched his leg and then tentatively moved from the stump to the bench. "I mean... I know. It would be... Hard." He finished. "But ___," He searched for the right words. "I... love you. And I think it's up to you. You know where I stand, and I plead for forgiveness from you. But I also beg you to remember... I'm still Peter on the inside. We're the same person."

You saw real tears, not rain water, sliding down Tom's cheeks as he ended his monologue.

Without a shadow of a doubt you knew what you wanted. But would that be best?

For minutes you sat there, in the light of the flickering and dimming lantern that hung from the pavilion sheltering you from the rain, as you combed through your options and the outcomes of each one.

At last, you looked back at Tom, sitting a mere few inches from you.

He looked back, and a grim determination was set into his eyes.

"Tom..." You said. "I..."

Your mind blanked. You knew what you wanted but you couldn't find the words to say it. With one impulsive motion you leaned forward and graced your lips upon his, the salt from his tears stinging your senses.

In an instant his arms were around you, pulling you close and shielding you from any harm.

The rain seemed to stop and a sudden orange glow filled the space around you.

You both released the soft kiss and he looked at you apprehensively.

"I don't forgive you," You said. "But I believe in second chances, and I don't think I'll be let down. Not if the guy I know is really the one kissing me."

Tom's smile was brighter than the sunrise warming your back. He pulled you close again and resting your foreheads together said "I cannot even comprehend my luck. I completely thought I had lost you."

You smiled. "Don't worry, you'll have to try a lot harder to get rid of me. I'm here for you, through the fame and noise. And I love you too Thomas Holland."

And he kissed you again and again.