sixteen

jack's shoes clapped against the sidewalk with every step he took. he observed the lights of toronto at night time, the whole city being lit up with lights from apartment buildings and the moon casting above the place he called home.

he walked closer to the cn tower, watching the building turn different colors of the rainbow was like flying a kite in the wind. it really was beautiful.

he got his phone and took a photo, before shoving his phone in his pocket and accidentally hitting his glasses with his hands. his glasses were smudged, so he took them off and wiped them clean with his shirt.

"jack?"

jack looked up, seeing nothing but little bits of light coming from the windows. jack combed his hair back and put on his glasses, focusing on the boy in front of him.

it was zach, and he was stood in a huge fluffy jacket engulfing his body, white jeans hugged his legs in every perfect way and his hair was messy, flowing wherever it wanted to flow.

jack was in awe, taking a step behind him and fixing his glasses. "h- hi."

zach fiddled with his fingers, "isn't it beautiful?" he glanced at the cn tower like it was worth millions, his eyes filled with love. jack slowly stepped closer to him, "yeah."

zach was real. he wasn't just some boy on the internet trying to mess with his emotions, he was real. he was stood in front of him, teeth chattering in the cold winds, his eyes scanning jack's face for any sign of emotion.

the thing that scared jack was that he didn't know who was standing in front of him.

"why're you out so late?" jack asked him softly. he sighed, shoving his hands in his pockets, "i usually come here at one in the morning. it calms me."

jack nodded in shock, "one?!"

zach laughed, "my mom never notices. it's kinda fun, really."

jack couldn't stop looking at him, the boy who caused him so much stress and fury, "hey, you have your glasses on!"

"yeah," jack said. he fixed his hair again, "it's late and i took my contacts out like -- an hour ago. too lazy for them sometimes."

zach's smile was brighter than the whole city lit up, "yeah, they seem like a hassle."

jack just sighed and wrapped his arms around zach, "this is crazy."

zach laid his head on jack's shoulder, "yeah."

and in that moment, jack just gave up on thinking and let himself hug the life out of the boy in front of him, no matter how much backlash could come out of him. how could such a small boy be that vulgar over text?

zach whispered something that was barely audible to jack's ears, before releasing their hug, "i'll text you later, jack." he told him.

jack waved, "bye zach."

"zachary."

what was the difference.(?)