Voltaire remained silent. He had enough. The belt’s buckle was killing him.

“I’M DOING EVERYTHING FOR YOU AND THIS IS HOW YOU WILL PAY ME?! YOU WILL NEVER HAVE A BRIGHT FUTURE!”

SPANK!

Voltaire wanted to explode. He couldn’t bear it anymore.

“I’M ASHAMED OF YOU… I REGRET YOU’RE MY SON! YOU’RE GIV-”

“I regret too that you’re my father!” Voltaire spoke the words clearly.

SPANK!

“SO YOU’RE FIGHTING BACK NOW?! VOLTAIRE, YOU’RE EMBARASSING-”

“BECAUSE OF YOU! YOU’RE THE WORST FATHER IN THE WORLD! YOU’RE FORCING US TO DO SOMETHING AGAINST OUR WILL! LOOK AT NONG ARIS…HE HAS NO TIME FOR HIMSELF. DON’T YOU KNOW THAT HE SLEEPS TILL 4AM? AND NONG COCOY…HE’S BEING TEASED AT SCHOOL…A GEEK! TOO MUCH OF YOUR PRESSURES, DAD. YOU’RE CRUEL…YOU’RE A DEMON…YOU’VE NEVER BEEN A GOOD FATHER!”

Professor Natividad fell on the floor unconscious. An hour later, he was in the ICU of The Doctor’s Hospital diagnosed with mild stroke.

Mama Mary, please forgive me. I shouldn’t have fought my father. I was wrong. It was my entire fault. My conscience is killing me. We already lost our Mom. I will not forgive myself if something bad happens to Dad. Please help him survive. We needed him. If he gets well, I promise… I promise to fix my life. I’ll stop drinking. I’ll study hard if that’s what he wants. I will always obey him. Please Mama Mary…I’m begging you…please give my Dad another life…”

Voltaire’s father was discharged from the hospital after a month of confinement. His half body was paralyzed and his speech was affected by the stroke. Timing, it was summer vacation. Voltaire took care of his Dad at home.

“Dad, I’m reading the works of Plato…”

“Dad, I’m studying trigonometry…”

“Dad, I watched Discovery Channel…they featured French philosophers…”

“Dad, I’m sorry for everything I said…”

“Dad, I won over Nong Aris in chess…”

“Dad, you’re the best father in the universe…”

“Dad, Nong Cocoy and I answered the 1 million question in Game KNB…

“Dad, forgive me…”

It was indeed a miracle. Professor Natividad’s condition went better with Voltaire’s care. A physical therapist was visiting them from time to time. After six months, his speech was fine. After a year, he was able to work back in the university.

“I forgive you,” the professor told his youngest son. “But please…don’t you ever disappoint me again.”

“Yes Dad!” Voltaire replied enthusiastically. “I promise.”

“So how’s your father?” Ferdinand, his barber in his patronized barber shop, asked Voltaire one day while he was having a haircut. He trusted the old barber with all his problems.

“He’s fine, Nong Ferds. Thank God.”

“You should not cause him any stress. For all I know, if you had stroke, you should live life to the fullest.” Ferdinand was finishing his customer’s hair.

“Yeah I know. I promised Dad I will study hard.”

“That’s good. It will benefit the both of you. But don’t force yourself too much…just accept what’s there…”